No announcement yet.

Any red outdoor tomatoes yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasnt expecting this but both my potato leave heritage varieties are well ahead of the modern f1 hybrids

Outdoor girl third from the left, bloody butcher, 2nd from the right.

They seem to have much less foliage, I wonder is this helps them ripen quicker?
    Attached Files

Comment

All my tomatoes are in a greenhouse and so far only a few super early Latah have been ripe. Lots green, a few cherry types starting to turn, with any luck they'll be ripe by August!

Comment

I've got one sweet million cherry tomato in a pot on the patio that's turning red/half green! Every other plant has mixtures of green tomatoes & flowers.

Comment

I have one Sungold showing signs of turning orange in the greenhouse today. Outdoors I have pea sized fruit on the Shirley and Sweet Aperitif, slightly bigger ones on the Roma, cherry sized fruit which might be about to turn on the Sungold and Garden Pearl and some decent sized green fruit buried in the midst of a thicket of foliage on the Totem (bush). Belle has one fruit the size of a golf ball, so some way to go as its a beefsteak variety.

The star of the show is Balconi red and yellow, although they are cheating because they produced a fair amount of fruit when on my spare bedroom windowsill. The plants gradually became too big and in danger of falling over, so I banished them outdoors. They sulked for a while and produced no more ripe fruit, but over the last few days there has been a steady trickle, with more looking ready to turn. Flavour wise I would not recommend Balconi yellow which is fairly tasteless, but the red variety is ok.

Last year I picked my first outdoor orange Sungold on 26th July.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I've had two tumbling Tom outside so far this year!! And the ones in the greenhouse are very disappointing...not going to be a good year for tomatoes for me!
            <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
              Nannysally, you must be using the wrong words to them??!!!
              Have you tried singing?
              I talk to them very nicely every morning Susie, always uttering words of encouragement
              Now if I started singing to them, they'd curl up and die lol
              Nannys make memories

Comment

No ripe tommies here either.
                Not in the ground or in the greenhouse.
                Chilis (in the same greenhouse) are doing great.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm paying the price for taking the risk and putting them in the unheated greenhouse when night time temps were still low. They seemed undamaged at the time but I remember a grape warning there'd be problems later on.
                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Not a single red toms and to be honest not nearly as many green ones this year. Fingers crossed they will come good. Planted loads of plant he this year but doesn't look like it's going to be a bumper crop��
                  Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Spotted one solitary Sweet Million cherry tom that has started to ripen yesterday evening.

Comment

I have 3 Black Cherry that have ripened outdoors.
                      I have loads of toms from the greenhouse in the past few weeks. Have taken loads of pics and still cant figure how to upload them but i will get there.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

This year the toms are really biding their time. I have eaten 2 Tumblers and 2 peardrops from outdoor plants (served with great ceremony and shared with other half). At this rate the basil will be past it by the time the toms are sweet and juicy. Also, is it just me or does anyone else have an issue with fruit not developing on lower trusses? The fruit seem to stop growing at pinpoint size.

Comment

Looking at my pics from last year, we didn't get red toms until nearly the end of August
                          Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by bramble
                            I have 3 Black Cherry that have ripened outdoors.
                            I have loads of toms from the greenhouse in the past few weeks. Have taken loads of pics and still cant figure how to upload them but i will get there.
                            Click on go advanced.
                            Above the reply box there are a row of icons. Click the paper clip.
                            Click "add files" On the right hand side near the top
                            Click Choose , and "from library". This will take you to your computer/phone photos - click the photo and then choose upload.
                            On the lower bar at the bottom of your screen LHS you will see your photo. On the RHS of this click insert in line and then done.
                            Attached Files

Comment

30 in greenhouse, 7 in polytunnel and 25 in outdoor bed, 8 varieties- all look healthy, all have green tomatos and flowers but no sign of red or gold. An outside chance that green zebra is ripe but I have no idea how to tell!
                              No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

Give it a squeeze!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X