No announcement yet.

Hardly anything is growing :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it might be worth looking at the dates when a few things were ready in 2014 and 2015. The general impression is that everything has been slow, and is behind. Some things are hard to compare (for example I used a completely different method for potatoes so comparisons are not fair), so I have stuck to things that have been treated pretty much the same both years. This is what I found:

PSB first flowerhead cut - 19 March 2014 v 9 March 2015
    Pea meteor - first peas ready 28 May 2014 v 5 June 2015 despite seeds being sown about a week earlier in 2015.
    Strawberry Elsanta - first fruit starting to turn red 15 June 2014 v 15 June 2015
    Courgette Green Bush - first baby courgette harvested 29 June 2014 v 5 July 2015 but seed was sown a week later in 2015 due to cold weather.
    Pea Hurst Green Shaft - first peas harvested 5 July 2014 v 3 July 2015
    Calabrese - first head harvested 6 July 2014 v 16 July 2015
    First blueberry showing signs of turning blue 20 July 2014 v 21 July 2015
    Tomato Sungold starting to turn orange 22 July 2014 v fruit growing but nothing looking likely to turn orange yet as of 21 July 2015 but seed was sown 9 days later in 2015.

I find this interesting - the permanently planted fruit is ripening on almost exactly the same day as last year, but some things, such as calabrese and meteor peas were rather slower to mature, and some things like courgettes and tomatoes may simply be later because I sowed them later. Sowing dates were not exactly the same both years, but usually within a few days.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

There's not nearly as much difference as was expecting!

Just goes to show...while we (and by 'we' I mean 'I') blame the weather and complain that one year was worse than another....mostly nature evens it all out in the end!

I really wish I was more diligent at record keeping now...then I could make proper comparisons instead guestimating and getting it all wrong!
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Comparisons are very hard, because there are several variables involved apart from the weather. I start almost all my plants in modules, so theres the sowing date, the germination date, the potting on date, the hardening off date and the planting out date, all of which may vary slightly due to weather conditions, space and available time. Then there is the position in the garden, which in my garden can be wildly different. The varieties I chose to report on were mostly planted in similar positions or in pots in the same position, the exception being the peas which in general were a bit sunnier this year than last.

There's also a good deal of subective judgement about when some crops are "ready". Comparison is particularly difficult with something like carrots or potatoes, which can be eaten as soon as the roots start to swell, but might be left in the ground for a considerable time after they are first edible.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Well my toms only have flowers, no fruit yet. Runners don't even have flowers and everything else is trailing behind too.
          sigpic

Comment

I think you have had much the worst of it in Scotland. It may have been chilly at times here but we have had plenty of sunshine and the main issue apart from night time temperatures has been lack of rain. It is easier to keep plants warm and watered than provide sunshine when there isn't any, and I suspect that is the difference.

Comment

I think you are right Penellype...hardly any sun but loads of rain and chilly most of the summer. We have had the odd few days together where we have had sun and a bit of warmth but definitely not enough. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good August!
              sigpic

Comment

Well my patience to not repot has been rewarded, I can see a shoot on my cucamelon in the window sill now!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X