Peas going abysmal

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    I do fear it might be a bad year for peas and mangetout for that fact. Anyone feel free to correct me, but none of mine are their usual selves and I have some new ones that aren't doing what they should. The first few planted out I thought it was due to birds taking the tips out. However, I have 3 climbing varieties that have all stopped at around 2-3 ft and others just being a bit hit and miss
    I've started planting them for the first time this year and I can get one or two pods per plant max with the ones in containers not cropping at all. I have green shaft and the best one is like 50 cm tall while it should be 75 cm according to RHS. I thought it was lack of sun for my ground plants and irregular watering for the containers put looking at your post, it seems I'm not alone on this.

Comment

Irregular watering with peas will cause a problem. Apart from a compost issue early on peas have performed as normal for me.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have 6 sugarnsap plants and they're doing amazingly well. I water every day and feed with tomato feed once a week (no idea if this helps but doesnt seem to have hindered). I have loads of pods! They are in a raised bed, so maybe more room to breathe though? Also think it helps that I planted them just before the hot / wet weather we had in early July so they grew from 6 inches to 6 foot in two weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          I do fear it might be a bad year for peas and mangetout for that fact. Anyone feel free to correct me, but none of mine are their usual selves and I have some new ones that aren't doing what they should. The first few planted out I thought it was due to birds taking the tips out. However, I have 3 climbing varieties that have all stopped at around 2-3 ft and others just being a bit hit and miss
          Growing various varieties of mangetout.

Started off the yellow pod variety and the big variety from real seed collection in April or May and have been harvesting the yellow ones for a few weeks now. The green ones in the same pot are just getting going and are freaking huge but few. The yellow ones are small but produce like an explosion.

I snapped a few of them early in the season and the pot is so heavy it fell over like 5 times a day for a week till i surrounded it by other pots to keep it up.

Growing them in Glasgow and we've not had much of a summer this year as everyday is cloudy, rainy and often quite cold. So i can only imagine if the weather was a bit nicer.

I sowed a different variety every 2 weeks and many of them are really small as there hasn't been much good weather to give them a boost. But one variety is growing taller than the rotary dryer (which i have turned into a pea support) and just beginning to flower. I expect good things as the stems are really thick on this one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X