Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planting potatoes

Hi all ive been a member
    for a while now , just not to good at communication so hi to all, my wife has a part time job in a garden centre , which means i get the odd plants that get to the compost heap, anyway last weekend her boss gave her seed potatoes being cleared from the shelves, the ones in the small bags these were nevan maincrop question is, is it to late now to plant them, it seems a pity just to waste them, any advice please thankyou
    mike

Hello Mike, welcome to the vine. Maincrop may be ready in 20 weeks so around December. You may get away with a crop if planted under cover i.e a greenhouse or similar. Either way, they aren't gonna grow unless you plant them.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Xmas spuds?

Yey- fantastic ...they'll taste even better on the great day knowing they were free

I'd start off in the open and cover them up as Autumn progresses-perhaps in tubs if you can so you can move them around later in the year?

Nice to see you posting Mike ...a big welcome to the Vine from me too
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello & Welcome

As above, plant in tubs/buckets & move them undercover just before the first frost, homegrown new potatoes dug on Xmad Day morning is there anything nicer
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

hi all , thanks for the welcome . i will be planting this afternoon, everything in the garden looking good thanks mike

Comment

Hi Mike and welcome
            The first post is always the hardest. After that, it gets easier and easier until - like me - you never shut up
            I've no new advice about your spuds except to say that if you don't try, you'll never know. Plant them out, if you have space in the ground and in tubs, you may spread the cropping period a little longer. New spuds for Christmas and New Year.
            Let us know how you get on please.

Comment

Navan?

Not heard of them before- but it's had some good write ups!
              Seems to mature early for a maincrop.
              Nice winter , reliable spud too!

quote....

" Wilson’s Country Navan
              Potatoes 2.5kg
              Navan potatoes have a floury texture, are very versatile and are great value for money. They were first bred in Northern Ireland in 1987, but despite being relatively new on the potato scene they have become a household favourite in Ireland. They are a really reliable potato and are great for mashing, chipping, roasting or boiling. "

Wilsons Country

Hope they do well for you!
              Last edited by Nicos; 15-07-2015, 12:10 PM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine. Can't really add any more to the great spud advice already given. Worth a go especially as they were free
                sigpic

Comment

hi to all and thankyou for your help and encouragement, I had our first toms and cucumber last nights supper, my leeks are great onions even better beetroot been useing them for a while another good year so far, will keep you posted on the spuds cheers mike

Comment

Welcome to vine Mike, really pleased you are having a great year. I can't add to what has been said about the spuds except enjoy trying

Comment

Defo plant them. Nothing to lose, and if we have a warm end of summer you might be surprised at how quickly they grow. I put in some Vivaldi in August last year and in October (before frosts) the plants started dying down, so I thought it had all gone horribly wrong. Turned the tubs out and had a really good crop of spuds.

Good luck with them!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X