Mamande toms continue to confuse me

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always believed marmande was semi-determinate
    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Me too skeggi !
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just checked on them again , realized i hadnt checked the ones in greenhouse and guess what ?, yep, thier fine, just the three outside with the 2 main stem issue.

Comment

One of my 23x plants (all in the greenhouse) has decided to fork (I can't remember the verity of hand) and at the point of the fork I have had a truss appear vertically.

As I was go through all of the plants removing the side shoots I got to this one and it had a me slightly puzzled as I couldn't work out which one was the growing tip... the forking post makes sense, I'm not going mad after all!

Think I'll leave it and see what happens, after all I have a number of others which are the same verity to fail back on if the plant fails.

Comment

There are two types which leads to the confusion.

Marmande is a cordon indeterminate.
            Super Marmande is more of a bush type and is semi-determinate.

Comment

My marmandes have always forked as well, and stop growing at about 3 foot. Definitely more cordon than bush though as they don't shoot out side shoots at anywhere near the same frequency as a true bush. Depending on the space I often leave the second cordon on. As with most beefsteaks I have found I get more, but smaller toms than if I grow them as a pure cordon.

Marmandes are the only toms that ALWAYS fork for me.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                A few years ago, several of us were having trouble with http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oes_65737.html
                Maybe this is another "forking"year?
                I have 3 Crimson Crush toms that look like bush - not sure what they're supposed to be
                over 50yrs ago I can remember my granddad moaning about "forking tomatoes", at least at 7yrs old, that is what it sounded like.........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X