Okra leaves…infestation?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okra leaves…infestation?

I have discovered the leaves on my okra plants have a strange infestation. There are small transparent balls stuck to the underside of each leaf has, almost sugar/salt grain in appearance. I have sprayed them with soapy water and tried to remove them but they are quite hard and grain like. Can anyone enlighten me to what they are and if my okra plants will become a lost cause…many thanks for any info

Any chance of a photo ???
    It'd help a lot with the ID.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I don' think it will cause any harm to the plant, think it is something to do with sap leaving the leaves and hardening. I have it every year with my plants but it has never been an issue

Comment

Could they be shield bug eggs- they are round and transparent?

Not sure if they lay on Okra leaves though????

Comment

Yey! Duvy- good to read your reply!

Comment

Hi Nicos and Duvy, here's a photo. I'm thinking it may be the sap as I've just read this…though they are talking about spinach, maybe okra has a similar chemical make-up…?!
            Thanks for your help…do you agree?

'These little crystals are the result of calcium oxalate and other naturally occurring chemical compounds in the spinach. Most of the stomata (pores) are located on the underside of plants....when the plants respire and transpire, water vapor exits from those pores. The salt/sugar -like crystals form when those exudates evaporate around the stomata.The hard little deposits fall to the ground as they dislodge. The spinach continues to produce the chemicals, which continue to collect on the outside of the stomata, which will continue to evaporate....forming more and more "dots ".
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi, yes that is the same that appears on my plants. It will not cause any harm to them, and you will have some perfectly fine Okra growing soon

I started growing Okra a few years ago and thought I had some eggs growing but nothing ever hatched.

Just googled it.....

https://myfolia.com/journals/87686-o...t-eggs-but-sap

One of my plant has just started flowering

Comment

45 minutes from worrying/posting to positive confirmation and relief

...not bad eh??

Bet you're glad you asked now Palmers -patch????

- and well done to Duvy - thanks- we've all learned there something today!
                Last edited by Nicos; 18-06-2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

your welcome

Comment

Excellent news! Thank you Duvy, I look forward to those flowers and thence the okra. Love the Grapevine, this time yesterday I thought my okra was doomed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X