Potatoes are poisonous

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes are poisonous

I stumbled across this article written by a family physician about human's evolved diet: http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html. He claims that potatoes and grains are not natural to our diet and can be harmful. What is everyone's opinion on this? Are we still inherently cavemen?
    "I got a business card, 'cause I want to win some lunches. That's what my business card says: "Mitch Hedberg, potential lunch winner."
    Gift ideas... fruit baskets or gardening kit?

Interesting.

I would definitely agree that an excess of refined sugars, high salt intake etc isn't ideal but I think my biggest gripe against the theory is that few of us have a 'Paleolithic' lifestyle! If you're extremely active and living on your wits, the Paleolithic Diet may be ideal. Perhaps less so if the majority of your life is spent sitting on your b*m! Human diet involved because of need and practicality (at least until extremely recently, in evolutionary terms).

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Interestingly he says not all the toxins are removed by cooking - but doesn't say which ones - cultures all around the world have managed to turn toxic plants into edible ones by processing in some way. Did anyone see that Ray Mears programme recently about how our diet evolved? It was fascinating. He visited aborigines in Australia who were still using the same processing techniques as their ancestors had done thousands of years ago - the mind-boggling bit is how on earth they worked out the process of taking something poisonous and making it edible. My point is that I don't think this is anything new, we've been cooking our food for thousands of years!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Started reading it, made my head hurt. I'll try again later!

The Ray Mears prog was excellent, really very interesting. Don't see enough of him on the box IMHO
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Potatoes are related to deadly nightshade

Comment

So what does he suggest we eat? Dinosaurs? As I understand it man was originally a hunter/gatherer and ate whatever was available, including wild plants and roots as well as meat. At some later stage we discovered that we could manage crops by planting the good (edible) ones in controlled space (fields, gardens etc)

Comment

Point one the title should really have had a question mark at the end rather than being presented as a statement.

Point two, yes green potatoes are poisonous, I am unsure how many you would need to eat to be affected.

Point three, potatoes have formed part of the south american diet for centuries and part of the western european diet since Elizabeth the first was on the throne.

Point four, heard of people with "a bee in their bonnet"?
              Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
              Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
              I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Humans are omnivores - that means we do best eating a bit of everything. So if we give up eating potatoes does that mean we will live to be 110. And would we want to ? Lets not be daft. I say eat in a sensible manner that sits right with you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Pre Elizabethan times...imagine the Sunday roast without spuds...
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Mellonmelllow, I've just read all that stuff in the link, and I've 3 words to say - RUBBISH, RUBBISH, RUBBISH !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                      Pre Elizabethan times...imagine the Sunday roast without spuds...
                      Ah......But the Sunday roast would be Venison if you came from the right side of town and Rabbit if not!
                      With a few parsnips and neeps, carrots,peas, mangels,worzels I think I could have forgone the spuds!

Would miss the earlies mind with butter and mint!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What a load of rubbish. The site is odd also.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                          So what does he suggest we eat? Dinosaurs? As I understand it man was originally a hunter/gatherer and ate whatever was available, including wild plants and roots as well as meat. At some later stage we discovered that we could manage crops by planting the good (edible) ones in controlled space (fields, gardens etc)
                          LOL, I agree. Our diet evolves with our civilization.
                          "I got a business card, 'cause I want to win some lunches. That's what my business card says: "Mitch Hedberg, potential lunch winner."

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                            Mellonmelllow, I've just read all that stuff in the link, and I've 3 words to say - RUBBISH, RUBBISH, RUBBISH !
                            He IS a family physician... I thought that could lead to some legitimacy.

Comment

Here, I found someone who is applying this paleolithic diet: http://cavemanpower.com/food/caveman_power_diet.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X