Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to move my tomato's outside?

Hi,
    I have 15 tomato plants happily flowering in pots inside my polytunnel but I only have space for best 6 of them inside. The other will be thrown out of the warm and into the cold and wind garden.

I have gardener's delight, tigerella and Costoluto Fiorentino.

Whats your advice? When - should I keep them inside as long as possible? I could build a wind break but it will cause some shade?

Has anyone any advice.

Thanks

Aaron

hi ,alot of people have put their toms out up here i think you will be fine down there ,do you get much wind ? im not sure if your near the sea if the salt air may affect them we don`t have that prob here in bedford,im sure you`ll get a few more helpfull posts from people nearer the coast,cheers
    The Dude abides.

Comment

Your GD's & Tigrella should be ok growing outside but your CF's are a little more tender so best undercover if poss.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Mine went outside last week as they need potting on. They were in little pots in my greenhouse but when I potted them into their final pots, I couldn't fit them in my growhouse so they are now stood on my patio. I've had to fetch them in a couple of nights tis week and put them on the paving slabs I have surrounding my log burner due to it being very cold at nights and it looks like I might have to do the same this weekend due to overnight temperatures.

With you being in Cornwall, I think if by June if you can't get them out now you're never going to get them out. It'll be almost sub-Saharan where you are compared to where I am.

Comment

Hi,
          Unfortunately I live a few miles in land so don't have a problems with the salt. I think I will putout the GD and the Tigrella and then their will be room in my Tunnel for the CF's for a couple of weeks.

The site is quite windy so now I need to make a trellis...

Thanks
          Aaron
          Last edited by AaronP; 12-06-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I am in Torquay just up the road from you and this last few days we have been getting a bitterly cold wind and night temperatures have been low (6 degrees) But I have a few outside toms and they seem to be reasonably happy, they are staked though of course.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I would say make sure the soil is treated with lots of compost and with basil underneath, and place them in direct sunlight. I'm sure they would be fine then.

Comment

Some of my outdoor toms are having to make do with outside temperatures and just a fleece thrown over at night. They are surviving but are about half the size of this time last year's plants. This weekend doesn't look too bad, but Sunday night is consistently showing as cold on the forecasts, and Monday is not looking great. After that the nights appear to be getting warmer, and about time too. There is time for that to change though
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X