No announcement yet.

Bloody French beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always direct sow dwarf French Beans (saxa) in a well draining raised bed. First crop goes in in Early-Mid May. Second crop goes in 1 month later. No special treatment. This year I planted two beans per site and had a 100% success rate. I was annoyed that I had to chop out half my crop. They always start with funny little distorted seedling leaves, but I think that's normal as the leaves grow bigger and lush green after a couple of weeks (Mine are at that stage now).

Not bragging as I have my own issues. Sweetcorn being the main pain for me! This year I got three plants out of a total of 60 seeds planted. Eugh. And don't get me started on sweet peas, I've given up.

But French Beans. They are my easy to grow standard crop.

Comment

I also think French Beans are one of the easiest crops to grow!
      Simply plant in Mid April, place in unheated greenhouse and by mid to late May they are ready to plant out. 90% plus germination for me every time.

Now Basil and Rocket I do have problems with though I think I may have finally cracked Rocket this year.

Comment

Oh dear !!!!
        Last edited by Scoot; 27-05-2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I have started sowing french beans from March and did again and again upto early May. Now I think have to start again as I do not have many
          Last edited by Elfeda; 27-05-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately something that never happen has happen. My dog a bit curious got in the green house and drop some plants and trays ( I wasn't there so I may think squirrel or something else may be responsible) so I will start some ASAP but when I have some minutes tomorrow I'll pop to the plot and direct sow some and then more in pot. After all If I have too many plants I can still use the spare one as green manure.

Comment

French beans again

Hi I'm new to the forum and signed up in the hope someone could help with my French beans. They are normally fine, didn't do much last year and this year the seedlings I raised in the conservatory are really stunted and suffering. I don't know why they are so different this year.

Comment

It may be because they are cold? The weather has been very chilli in the nights and french beans need warmth to germinate. Many people don't start them off till late May/early June. If you start them earlier it is a gamble with the weather. Can you put some photos up? It might be worth starting off some more.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 30-05-2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Never bother with them anymore. Far inferior to runner beans imo and not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                    Never bother with them anymore. Far inferior to runner beans imo and not worth the effort.
                    I'd say that Frenchies are the superior plant and freeze much better too. Only grow a few runners but give a lot of those away as they are neither as nice (OK but nothing more) or as versatile in different dishes

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X