No announcement yet.

Bush tomatoes flowering

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow Garden Pearl every year - from an early sowing they are small enough to grow on a window-ledge, and then to manage the in/out to greenhouse routine - to give me my earliest tomatoes.
    I have some green fruit on them already

They may not be the best but they are certainly much better than supermarket ones IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      The only thing I pinch off on my bush plants is the leading shoot as I find this encourages bushing.

As to bush toms only growing a finite number of fruit it's not something I have ever come across with the Tumbler I grow, they go on for ever until the weather sees them of.
      I love tumbler too but never pinched off the top. When you pinch them off potty? I never had a good bushy plant (maybe I thats the reason)

Comment

As soon as you can see the bush is able to support itself with plenty of other foliage, by this time the leader is usually about 8 inches high soon I just nip of the growing tip. I find it really does make the plants bush.
        Attached Files
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          ^^^^^^I hate to say this but I think you will be disappointed with the Garden Pearl. I tried them a few years back when the first came out. Tumbler had gone off the market for some unknown reason and I was looking for a replacement, I only grew them the once.
          I got these seeds free so I'm trying them, but prepared to be disappointed. I'm looking for a bush variety (not a tumbling one) which will give reasonable sized fruits and not grow too big. So far the best I have found is Totem, with medium sized fruit of moderately good flavour. They tend to get greenback if they get too hot so I find them best grown outdoors. Most of the bush varieties seem to have cherry tomatoes, and I like to make sauces and soups without bits of skin in (I'm a fussy beggar). If you have ever tried peeling about 100 pea sized bajaja fruit in one go you will understand why I have given them a miss this year!
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Outdoor Girl are a nice sized Tom Pene. They grow to around 3ft tall & have plenty of good sized fruits.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Can highly recommend maskotka Bush tomato. Very productive and tasty. Tomatoes vary in size from cherry up to medium and it's also very early to fruit. I'm expecting ripe tomatoes first or second week of June from a March 1st sowing

Comment

I liked Real Seeds Grushovka, when I grew it on the plot. If we didn't have such a blight ridden plot, I'd still be growing it.

Bush toms take up a lot of room in a greenhouse so (apart from a tub of Garden Pearl) I only grow the tall ones in there now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X