No announcement yet.

What are the best outdoor cucumbers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew Marketmore for several years. Initially I was impressed. I think this was the 76 variety. I didn't realise there were different variants and when I got new seed I got one of the other variants, the 86 variety I think, it was light coloured and I found it very prone to tough skin and seeds compared to the 76. No one wanted my spare cucs ...

Last year I tried Burpless, for some reason I'd always been put off by the name. But it was great. Tasty, edible skin and seeds, very productive and a nice size comparable to supermarket cucs. After reassuring friends and neighbours, they all wanted my surplus.

I also grow Beth Alpha for variety. I like the smaller cute cucs as a change to the big ones, especially in salads.

Mainly this is in greenhouses. The Beth Alpha are definitely worth growing outside but I haven't tried Marketmore or Burpless out there but it sounds like they work for other people.

If you do grow more than one variety, separate them. The first year I grew Beth Alpha and Marketmore in one greenhouse there was much bitterness and gnashing of teeth! Neither were sweet and tasty. They are best pollenated by the same variety.

Comment

I grew Vega outdoors last year - these are the small fruited cucumbers. I found they grew very well in large pots and gave me plenty of 4-6 inch fruits which are big enough for me.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by CurlyGreen View Post
        If you do grow more than one variety, separate them. The first year I grew Beth Alpha and Marketmore in one greenhouse there was much bitterness and gnashing of teeth! Neither were sweet and tasty. They are best pollenated by the same variety.
        Now you say it it's completely obvious, but I'd never thought of it. Thanks for that advice!
        Waiting to get to the top of the allotment list!
        Small garden gardener!

Comment

This year its Marketmore and Crystal Lemon (Ta VC and the VSP). I grew the crystal lemon last year and they were brilliant. My Dad who lives in the USA spotted one on the kitchen counter and was about to slice it into his gin. He is old and doddery mind.
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I grew restina from Lidl outside and they did well. They are a pickling type but delicious eaten raw too. The plant isn't too huge either so is quite manageable. My mother in Denmark also grew these and another Lidl outdoor type (can't remember name) and they did well 'up North' were the growing season is a bit shorter.

Comment

A big big big thank you to all the lovely people on this site for giving so much free advice
              i really do appreciate the advice as i am still a novice and need all the help that i can get , and for that i commend you all
              many thanks
              mr biffo

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                This year its Marketmore and Crystal Lemon (Ta VC and the VSP). I grew the crystal lemon last year and they were brilliant. My Dad who lives in the USA spotted one on the kitchen counter and was about to slice it into his gin. He is old and doddery mind.
                May not be as old and doddery as you think, gin is lovely with cucumber. Gordon's sell cucumber gin!!!
                Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by mrbiffo View Post
                  A big big big thank you to all the lovely people on this site for giving so much free advice
                  i really do appreciate the advice as i am still a novice and need all the help that i can get , and for that i commend you all
                  many thanks
                  mr biffo
                  If you don't already have a blowaway and have space/spare cash I would invest in one for cucumbers/courgettes etc. I grow outdoor cucumbers in my blowaway with great success. In there I also grow tomatoes, runner beans, climbing beans, squash, chillies and other stuff too. Great inventions until I can get the real deal.
                  Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

please could you let me know what a blow away is ????????
                    many thanks
                    mrbiffo

Comment

A blow away is a plastic greenhouse which you can pick up from £10 depending on the size up to £50 or so. nicknamed such as if not secured in anything up from a light breeze they will blow away.

I am growing market more...I intended on growing them inside the greenhouse but would they do better outside in pots? I don't have room in tbe veg patch so it's either inside or outside of the greenhouse in a pot with a stake.

Comment

Thank you very much for clearing that up i will now get one and give it a try
                        many thanks very much

mr biffo

Comment

I agree re blowaways. They make a huge difference for those of us that for various reasons can't have a 'proper' greenhouse. Crucially, they protect against wind damage and the temperature is those few degrees warmer so you can grow toms, chillies, aubergines etc. Just make sure it's secured. I fasten the cover to the frame with clear strong tape to avoid it ballooning and enforce the structure with strong string. It is weighed down with bags of compost on the bottom bit of the frame at he moment which will of course go into planters soon and do the same job. I love mine (ahem, both of them... )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X