No announcement yet.

Non-plastic containers for growing potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly would not grow in tyres either though Bob Flowerdew used to advocate it some years back.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Plastic not a major concern. As many have said your water, milk, juice etc all in contact with plastics daily. Those will be tested as food safe.

Big plastic will commonly be polyethylene (HDPE). That doesn't need much plasticiser etc. PVC might but would make it squidgy... Not sure about those trugs.

A wooden barrel treated with some creosote substitute must be at least as big an issue.

Reuse? Recycle?

Comment

I try to avoid my food coming into contact with plastic as much as possible and prefer to store in glass / ceramic when I can. Milk comes in glass thankfully as fat content can be a worry with plastic. That said, I don't worry so much about planters as you have to draw a line somewhere. Did stop using plastic bottles to drink out of though some years ago, stainless steel is much better and the water tastes better.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Don't drink tap water, most of that comes through plastic pipes. Don't drink bottled water most of that is in plastic bottles. Just how far do we take this?
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Exactly, we all have to draw a line somewhere but some people draw it in different places.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X