No announcement yet.

Brassica tap roots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its raining, praise be! Using time to crop and hopefully attach picture of new cabbage bed!
    Attached Files
    No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

It worked! Thankyou Sarico! Cropped on phone, emailed to myself, downloaded, saved and attached.
      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

Pruning of roots is like any other pruning, it promotes growth.

The very act of lifting from a seed bed, or transplanting from a module/seedbox does the same thing.

It also helps if your ground has any clubroot in it as the new seedlings have a head start and a mini rootball before being attacked. The more roots that are in contact with the soil the less chance of 'wind rock' one of the main caises of blown cauliflowers/sprouts.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just to be clear (or not) you're talking about root pruning leafy brassicas like cabbages, not edible root ones like turnips that are better not transplanted................or are you?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Just to be clear (or not) you're talking about root pruning leafy brassicas like cabbages, not edible root ones like turnips that are better not transplanted................or are you?
            Isn't a turnip a swollen, modified stem?
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Yes, in the first instance, no to the second! Not root pruning, just breaking the taproot.
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It all boils down to direct sown V transplanted. Most people transplant so will break the taproot anyway.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  It all boils down to direct sown V transplanted. Most people transplant so will break the taproot anyway.
                  Do you think that it is a good idea to break off the bottom of the module sown roots and do you think that it applies to all brassicas?

Comment

Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
                    Do you think that it is a good idea to break off the bottom of the module sown roots and do you think that it applies to all brassicas?
                    Its supposed to be why swedes,turnips and radish are best direct sowm? I have module grown swedes with some success but always direct sow some more when i plant the others out. Its a 'Belt and braces' thing with me but does give a succession of crops.
                    I don't break the roots purposely, its just that in module sown stuff a secondary root system is formed naturally because the roots are confined.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger. Is it possible that I may have bonsaied those cabbages? Am intending to grow swedes this year for the first time and will direct sow- do you think they mind a bit of shade?

Comment

I'm already struggling with brassica and all this stuff make more complicated to me. When I plant out whatever stay alive I break some root at few of them to see what happen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X