No announcement yet.

Is it too early for me toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, you are quite right I clicked on History for Lyme Regis and thought I got "Lyme Regis Airport" actually, having checked again, it says "Nearest airport to Lyme Regis" which is as good as useless of course! (and it did indeed select Exeter) No idea why clicking on History in Wunderground doesn't give the history for the current station it has selected ... Ho!Hum!

So we're left with Charmouth being the nearest weather station to Lyme Regis that I found on Wunderground; no idea if you are more sheltered than them and hopefully no lasting damage to your plants from 5C; the Charmouth weather station was showing below-zero temperature from 11:20pm to 6:20am
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

we have a bitterly cold sharp wind and temp now is about 9deg in greenhouse, which has toms.peppers and French beans all waiting to go out, I went to get a paper and came back absolutely frozen after having 2 weeks of lovely weather, and the weather guessers now say it will stay that way until the end of july,who would have guessed it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        Sorry, you are quite right I clicked on History for Lyme Regis and thought I got "Lyme Regis Airport" actually, having checked again, it says "Nearest airport to Lyme Regis" which is as good as useless of course! (and it did indeed select Exeter) No idea why clicking on History in Wunderground doesn't give the history for the current station it has selected ... Ho!Hum!

So we're left with Charmouth being the nearest weather station to Lyme Regis that I found on Wunderground; no idea if you are more sheltered than them and hopefully no lasting damage to your plants from 5C; the Charmouth weather station was showing below-zero temperature from 11:20pm to 6:20am
        I think you ought to look again. Both Uplyme (the nearest, less than 1 mile from my House) and Charmouth suggest temps didn't go below around 6C last night....

Comment

I've checked again and I have no idea what I saw before. My apologies.

Not intended as an excuse, but I do find the current presentation in Wunderground far more difficult to digest than the old one. Lots of gloss and fancy graphs that grow magically as you look at them, but I seem to be forever clicking-this and clicking-that to try to find things and it seems to take me ages to drill down and locate data, which on the old site I used to find with ease. Or so it seems to me - perhaps I'm just getting old
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Im in the South West, near Bath. Around 2 here with a hard frost, even my brassica seedlings in the GH were a bit droopy this morning. I don't chance my toms in the GH until mid may.

Comment

We are in France near Tours, but further north, and also in a valley frost pocket. Last night the local forecast said we would have plus 2 but when I woke up this morning at 7, there was white frost on the roofs and on the car.

I rushed round as it was getting dark covering all my spuds last night, but haven't yet looked inside the polytunnel where the toms are in pots and not covered up with anything else. I rather fear the worse and will be out in a few moments to see if they have all been touched by the cold.

It really is best to follow the local wisdom that you should never plant out until the end of May.

Comment

I had all my toms out in the greenhouse last week when it was 11C minimum overnight. And all the brassicas and other crops were out resting on the raised beds.

This week they are back in the house tho. It was 2.1C at 8am this morning.

Comment

Looks like i'm the only one who kept my Tom's in the greenhouse over night.
                  Temp fall to about -1 last night.
                  I stuck a paraffin heater in over night which kept the temp quite high.
                  Just check on everything this afternoon and all looks great.
                  @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Supposed to be 6C tonight so I have put out a couple of bean plants I started early to see how they get on.

They have been in an unheated room for while and I have moved some toms to were they were to get them ready for the big freeze

Some of my tomato plants are not looking too healthy lacking in colour and lower yellow leaves, I think maybe they have used up all the nutrients in their pots?

So getting a bit worried about them.

I put my toms out early May last year, around 5th to 7th perhaps.

They were all fine.

Anyhow I just made a weak solution of tomato feed for them, maybe that will bring some colour back to their cheeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Beso View Post

I put my toms out early May last year, around 5th to 7th perhaps.

They were all fine.
                      The weather was very different last Spring - I didn't have a frost until September! My toms are indoors at the moment.

Comment

Actually I was thinking my toms were droopy due to the cold, but it is not cold in the house but maybe it is different on the windows sill.
                        They did get a bit of natural nitrogen in their feed last year, but not this year, didn't seem to do them any harm indeed it seemed to make them look really healthy, not like the limp wristed shower I have this year.

The ones I have on the windows sill in the bathroom look a lot better though, maybe because they got more water there perhaps?

Comment

If you have yellow leaves something is wrong. Seedlings usually have enough nutrients in the fresh compost. Are you watering from above or below. Are they getting enough light. Remember windowsills during the night can get very cold, tomatoes don't like it. Post up some photos and we can have a look. Where abouts are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            The weather was very different last Spring - I didn't have a frost until September! My toms are indoors at the moment.
                            Don't think I got a frost until December!!!

I have never lost a one plant to frost yet, so I started a bit earlier
                            this year.

So until I lose one I am gonna be pretty fearless.

I have place the plants pretty close to the house, so I think they will get a bit of extra heat radiating from the house there.

The weather site says 8C my thermometer says 9C

Last night I was recording 4.5C when the weather site said 3C. Mind you they only give it the nearest degree, my thermometer records to 1/10th of a degree.
                            So their 3C could be 2.5C or maybe 3.5C

Comment

Originally posted by Beso View Post
                              I have never lost a one plant to frost yet, so I started a bit earlier
                              this year.

So until I lose one I am gonna be pretty fearless.

5C
                              Don't speak to soon was last year your first growing year? I lost 5 courgette plants that were in my Green house last night. I cart all my tender plants indoors for the night. My courgettes were forgotten and they didn't survive.

Comment

supposed to be very cold tonight and it doesn't need to freeze to wreck your toms
                                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X