Great weather for tomatoes.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beso View Post
    I must say I am not keen on money maker at all, you might get volume but little else ie taste.
    I am growing some because as has been said they are in all the multi-packs of seeds.
    I wouldn't grow anything that I didn't like to eat.

Comment

Given the amount of effort, time and space that goes into raising a tomato plant, I don't see the point in growing a variety that has little taste. Just because the seed is included in multipacks, doesn't mean that they have to be grown.

Comment

I'd agree VC, I don't give space for anything inferior, not worth the effort

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I wouldn't grow anything that I didn't like to eat.
          Well they are passable I guess, It was all I had that had a medium days to maturity which I wanted ie short - medium - long.

If I can find something similar with a better taste I'd grow it, however all I seem to see in the seed pack is money maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Beso View Post
            Well they are passable I guess, It was all I had that had a medium days to maturity which I wanted ie short - medium - long.

If I can find something similar with a better taste I'd grow it, however all I seem to see in the seed pack is money maker.
            Alicante has similar fruiting times to money maker, around 65/68 days. Both "medium" so they will both start fruiting at the same time although i can't see why you need a short/medium/long to maturity. They are both cordons so they will carry on fruiting until early Autumn. If you choose a cherry type tomato they will crop for longer as they fruit soonest. Beef type toms take much longer to fruit, personally I wouldn't bother with those outdoors.
            Why choose to grow money maker when they are just "passable"?There are thousands of tomatoes to choose from, look through the tomato threads and look at grapes favourites. Worlds your oyster! I wouldn't be without black cherry, Pantano and black icicle.

Comment

While on the tom's subject, if I grew them in a hanging basket, would I only put one plant in or more, given that the basket was say 12"? Never tried them in baskets so that's why I ask.
              The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Originally posted by Python15 View Post
                While on the tom's subject, if I grew them in a hanging basket, would I only put one plant in or more, given that the basket was say 12"? Never tried them in baskets so that's why I ask.
                One per basket - you will need to water daily as they dry up quick. It's handy to sink a small plastic bottle in so when you water it goes straight to the roots and not over the leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  One per basket - you will need to water daily as they dry up quick. It's handy to sink a small plastic bottle in so when you water it goes straight to the roots and not over the leaves.
                  Much obliged Scarlet, that's exactly what I will do!

Comment

I do 1 Tumbler (note not Tumbler Tom) per basket, I find that lining the bottom third of the basket with old MPC bags really helps with the watering problem. You just have to be careful not to over water when the plants are young, but as soon as they start to fruit you can just flood them.
                    Attached Files
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Things have moved on so much since I started growing toms back in 71/72. Then we seemed to have little choice compared to today.

Now I grow Sungold to suit SWMBO's sweet tooth, Tumbler my favourite salad tomato, Russian Black to go on cheese on toast. Then every year I grow one variety I have not grown before just to make sure I am not missing something.

If I could offer one piece of advice to a person new to growing toms it would be. In your first year decide how many plants you are going to grow say 6 and then grow one plant each of 6 varieties. Decide which you do not like and swap the remaining seed from that packet for other varieties. Keep repeating this until you have your favourites.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        I do 1 Tumbler (note not Tumbler Tom) per basket, I find that lining the bottom third of the basket with old MPC bags really helps with the watering problem. You just have to be careful not to over water when the plants are young, but as soon as they start to fruit you can just flood them.
                        Two questions;
                        1) Is the purpose of the MPC bag lining to retain water in the basket ?

2) Are those really just one plant per basket? Amazing!

Comment

Two answers and they are both yes.

Tumbler are IMO an amazing tomato. Trouble is they went off the market a few years back to be replaced by Tumbler Tom in my experience a vastly inferior plant. Fortunately they came back by poplar demand but TT are still around and folks mix the two up due obviously to the similar name.

I have found that if you line the bottom 1/3 of a deep hanging basket with a piece of old MPC bag this acts as a reservoir and helps with the watering problem, however when the plants get that big you still have to water once a day.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                            Tumbler are IMO an amazing tomato. Trouble is they went off the market a few years back to be replaced by Tumbler Tom in my experience a vastly inferior plant. Fortunately they came back by poplar demand..
                            Potty, what seed company sells Tumbler, all I have came across in the seed racks is Tumbler Tom
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

The best place for price is Premier Seeds, they have great service too. Another place is Suttons but they are more expensive.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Pots mate, many thanks! I didn't even know Tumbler existed so much more than two questions answered pal!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X