No announcement yet.

Beds V Traditional

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My veg garden is between 5ft and 5ft 6in wide (its not straight), with a fence one side and at one end so no access from there. I've made a 30 inch wide bed along the length of it, with a solid path one side of the archway and the cold frame (2ft wide) overhanging the path a bit, but the other side I have just put a couple of 18" slabs as stepping stones, and I use the spaces between them for things like onions that I can step over. I use the rest as a U shaped bed which is just narrow enough for me to reach the back of, although the fence-fence corner can be challenging. I mulch it with cocoashell at that end to reduce weeding to an absolute minimum. I like to be able to step over the long bed (this can be essential in the summer when fruit cage and plants block access from the patio), and 30 inches is as much as I want to stretch to.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I do like the idea of raised beds but I am a traditionalist and just have large beds. I also have rows of stuff the only thing I block is sweetcorn. I put it down to parents been in the army.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
        My suggestion: Build a shed with the wood and do your gardening in the ground.
        Shed number 8 coming right up. Seriously, I already have 7 sheds.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Have to disagree completely. 4ft wide is too small. My beds are 20 ft wide and 3 ft long. Works a treat

Comment

Originally posted by Coopers View Post
            My beds are 20 ft wide and 3 ft long
            Hehehe

I have a 20ft long double row of beans in one bed ...

... and 20 x 4ft long rows of peas in the other bed
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

My raised beds are 5' wide. But I'm over 6'2" so it's easy to work with.

Comment

My main raised bed is something ridiculous like 11'10" by 5'2" - the DIY genius who lived here before me has made it impossible for me to do square foot gardening properly. I figure cut and come again lettuce and radishes in the extra 10" and just ignore the extra 2 - something will spread into that space!

Comment

Originally posted by cristalfiona View Post
                  My main raised bed is something ridiculous like 11'10" by 5'2" - the DIY genius who lived here before me has made it impossible for me to do square foot gardening properly. I figure cut and come again lettuce and radishes in the extra 10" and just ignore the extra 2 - something will spread into that space!
                  If it were me, I'd split it into 12 x 5 = 60 equal rectangles. I'm sure the vegetables won't mind and if anyone pointed out that the areas weren't quite square I'd just have to hit them to shut them up.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X