No announcement yet.

Help me grow cucumbers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with all that's been said about stems getting wet. Something I did last year which seemed to help was to put a ring of plastic bottle with copper tape on around the stem as visible around the plant on the right in the photo. The idea was to keep off the slugs (which it did), but it had the advantage that I could water outside the plastic and avoid risk of splashing the stems.

My cucumbers were outside, in pots against a south facing fence. On particularly sunny days I found that the plants wilted noticably, and I ended up shading them with fleece to stop this. I think if they are getting very hot that could be one reason why they are looking unwell.
    Attached Files
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^ I had forgotten about this, yes they don't like direct strong sunlight at all.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ok so Ive learnt

They dont like watering from the top
        They dont like strong sunlight
        They dont like their roots disturbed

Basically they are a pain in the backside

No in all seriousness I have learnt alot, I think ill resow them in a few weeks time.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
          I use flower buckets with no bottoms on top of the soil, I fill these with mpc
          That's how I grow my cucs it makes it easiest to keep water away from the stems.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I can sympathise.

I had six cucumbers on the go and all but one keeled over before any true leaves could form. The one left over is romping away! Currently anticipated a seed delivery any day so I can re-sow some more! Germination is never my problem, and once they get true leaves they seem quite robust. But at the seedling stage they appear super sensitive.

What did I do to cause such a disaster? I moved them from a north facing kitchen window, to a west facing bathroom window. I suspect I left the window in the bathroom open too long to clear some steam. The peppers and chilli have been perfectly happy there, but the cucumbers fell over within a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
              I think if they are getting very hot that could be one reason why they are looking unwell.
              Aaaargh! Am I going to have to cycle the 3 miles home and back at lunchtime to move my cucs out of the sun in my greenhouse??
              He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                Aaaargh! Am I going to have to cycle the 3 miles home and back at lunchtime to move my cucs out of the sun in my greenhouse??
                I did. And they were suffering a bit. I taped up some bubble wrap on the glass.

Sun's gone in now!
                He-Pep!

Comment

I tape left over fleece to my GH to act as a shade.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just started off 3 cucumbers myself. Thanks for the tips above. Just would like to know if, sinking a water bottle with the bottom cut off would be easier to water, when in a large enough pot ?

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                      Ok so Ive learnt

They dont like watering from the top
                      They dont like strong sunlight
                      They dont like their roots disturbed

Basically they are a pain in the backside

No in all seriousness I have learnt alot, I think ill resow them in a few weeks time.
                      OK....so now I see why mine seem to have ground to a halt and look rather unwell in the polytunnel I certainly never knew about the watering from the top! Looks like I need to start some new seeds off (Marketmore 76) and plant them outside in a few weeks rather than 'pamper' them inside the tunnel!
                      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

last year I grew a couple in self watering pots (reservoir at bottom, wick taking the water up to the roots) and they thrived. seemed like a simple way to ensure they get enough water and not be worried about them drying out.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                          Hi guys

Not having very good luck with my cucumbers, this is my first year growing them from seed and need some help.

I started the first lot off way too early in february, they were doing amazing under the grow lights but every time I potted them on they flopped over and then turned yellow and I had to get rid of them wasted alot of money on expensive F1 seeds

I started a second batch using a free pack of marketmore which again looked great and ive transferred them 10 days ago and now they just dont look that great, they seemed to have stopped growing completly (in my heated greenhouse)

So Ive just sowed my 3rd lot direct into larger pots to try that.

So I take it they dont like being transferred? I want to eventually put them in 10L pots so would it be best in future to wait until late may time and sow direct? or maybe use root trainers?
                          Marketmore, at least the ones I have just planted outside together with Gherkins and Marrows (gamble), are outdoor cucumbers so they may not do too well in a greenhouse, but yours looked o.k to me.
                          Feed the soil, not the plants.
                          (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                          Bob

Comment

Well it must be beginners luck grew Cucs for the first time this year.

I sowed 3 varieties - Passandra, MarketMore and Cornichon de Paris (Gherkin) all seem to be doing fine the Passandra (sown very early in Feb) have small fruit and are in a large Grow Sack. I grew some in seed pellets, sow some in small pots and some in 1/4 seed trays all have been transplanted at least once. I try not to water from the top and feed sparingly but regularly.

Comment

Right, I am away to rescue my cucumbers from the sun!
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X