No announcement yet.

Homemade vertical planter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done the stepladder one. Ok if there are no squirrels and you aren't growing anything pigeons like. Needs a sheltered spot and worked great for seeds trays.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Spam...........are the vertical pots going to be near a wall.
      No BM, I was just going to put a couple of stakes in random spots at the allotment where there wasn't room for a bed.
      Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
        No BM, I was just going to put a couple of stakes in random spots at the allotment where there wasn't room for a bed.
        Hmmmmm.........I'm not convinced they would stay upright long.......My theory for what it's worth was to get hold of some drainpipe, cut holes in the bottom of your buckets near to the edge the same diam as the pipe. Thread the 1st bucket on the pipe, place against a wall/fence/shed then about 6"(or what ever measurement you choose to use) above the bucket, fasten it to the structure with a drainpipe bracket. The next bucket would rest on the bracket & keep repeating until you have the number of buckets you want...........but as they are free standing, you can ignore my waffle.............
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BM, might try that too but I think I will intially go with the suggestion of VC and others and put them in off centre so they rest on each other.
          Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Good luck Spam & pray for no wind.................
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
              Thanks BM, might try that too but I think I will intially go with the suggestion of VC and others and put them in off centre so they rest on each other.
              I need a photo of the finished planter - just to see if it works

Comment

You have had so many great responses. I mentioned this not that long ago in regards to strawberry planters. The way I knew was the same as TrysHard mentioned

Having gurgled for that image I did find a nifty trick for downpipe. You could do it on a larger scale and stack the pots, secure with central stake and make holes in the side to act as planting pockets.

Attached Files

Comment

Thought I might have a go at this idea, so I'm going to build one in stages and see how it copes. I've started with a 4ft plastic stake and stuck it into the ground as far as it will go (I've probably hit the footings of the fence, but it seems reasonably stable). The stake is stuck in between onions, so I would not normally be using this space for anything else. So far I have 3 2l pots containing garlic chives which I grew from seed last year and were hidden at the bottom of the strawberry tower, self seeded nasturtiums dug up from the flower bed and some left over mizuna that there wasn't a space for. It all looks a bit sad as I only planted it up today.

More pots will be added as plants become available, but at the moment I'm treading carefully with ground frosts forecast on some nights this week followed by colder, wetter and probably windy weather starting at the weekend.
                  Attached Files
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Spotted this and I likes it - uses old pallets.

Attached Files
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

#23 a 120mm vine eye screwed into the fence with the support passing through it would give great stability.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Update on the vertical planter.

Materials used:
                        4 ft plastic stake from Wilko.
                        2 litre plastic plant pots
                        Ordinary MPC for planting

The first planter I made contained (from the bottom) garlic chives, chives, mizuna, nasturtium, chervil, parsley. 6 pots worked fine and seemed stable even in the recent gales. The mizuna was starting to bolt, so I removed it (sliding the pots off and back onto the pole was reasonably easy) and I added 2 pots of french beans (Purple Teepee and Topcrop). It soon became clear that 7 pots was gettign a bit much and the pole was starting to bend, so I found another pole and made a 2nd planter. The rearranged planters were now (from the bottom) garlic chives, chives, 4 pots of wild strawberries (plus a little one on top), and parsley, chervil, nasturtium, 2 pots of french beans. The stakes are strategically placed so that the pots rest on the soil in between the previously planted onions.

Planter 1 on the right, planter 2 on the left. Sorry about the picture quality - it was getting dark.

The mizuna, incidentally, was planted out at the same time as the plants in the soil. Perhaps because the soil is very dry and sandy in that part of the garden, the plants in the planter bolted several weeks later than those in the soil.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Penellype; 05-06-2015, 08:39 PM.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X