Sweeter tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweeter tomatoes

Interesting article in the Sunday times today. James Wong recommends spraying tomatoes with half an aspirin dissolved in a litre of water for an increase of up to 150% sweetness. He doesn't elaborate on freqequency etc but that may be in his book.
    I thought misting toms could cause disease problems. I must read up on this as sounds exciting. Watched KEW ON A PLATE last night. What a lovely programme. A repeat I think but interesting article on tomatoes there as well, really worth an Iplayer visit.

I find many tomatoes horribly sweet, I wonder what I can spray them with to have the opposite effect . Seriously though, I think some people trialled the aspirin thing last year, dunno what the results were though as I prefer a more acidic taste anyway.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i used asprin last year, more to ward off disease than to promote sweetness. I had no disease issues but who knows if i would have done without asprin. I didnt detect much increase in sweetness, the sungold were very sweet but they always are.

I applied mine in the water can to the roots so no misting involved.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I found some 'science stuff' about this....

http://ijagcs.com/wp-content/uploads.../1184-1187.pdf

And it does indeed say the sweetness is increased ( the Brix index) along with increase in yield ( no of fruit and diameter) and vit C

...I only had a quick scan through it cos it's a bit over facing on an Easter Sunday afternoon
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We had a previous discussion on here last year...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1221906
          Last edited by Nicos; 05-04-2015, 01:29 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Does anyone know when you should start spraying? I started reading the previous articles, but gave up the will
            What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Just stick a willow branch in your waterng can for the same effect, but organic
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

there is a train of thought that it stops blight. unproven yet but worth testing

Comment

Why you doing all this effort against nature to get something different? Ther are over 1000 variety of tomatoes ang I've tried about 75 and I found 3 for my taste being sweet. I doubt if you spray with aspirin garden delight you would get a very sweet tomato.

Comment

I've just read my post and sound like I'm yelling but is just my opinion. I don't want you think I sound rude.

Comment

It didn't sound rude .

I'm of the same opinion - if you want a sweeter tomato - try another variety

Comment

Its not just the sweetness though, it also increases the yield and resistance to blight.

I wonder if it works on Potatoes?

Comment

Like maverick says, its more about increasing yield and disease protection. As for going against nature, how do you think all those different varieties of tomato magically appeared?

Seriously though, I think any aids we can find to increase yield or resistance are worth exploring and salycilic acid is at least a pretty natural product to spray on your plants.
                          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

If it were that effective wouldn't the commercial growers be using it?

It's probably illegal as not licensed under all those inane regulations!
                            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X