Converting deep koi pond to raised bed - advice needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting deep koi pond to raised bed - advice needed

We've got a deep (4-5') koi pond in the garden that we're about to convert into a raised vegetable bed.

My current plan once i've got rid of the fish is to breach up the concrete at the bottom to allow some drainage with either a pick axe or a kango if i can borrow one.

Next i'll hopefully source some hardcore/rubble form freecycle and fill about 3' with that. For the remaining 1.5-2 feet I'll likely end up having to buy in some top soil and mix in some homemade compost.

Finally i'll be adding some soaker hoses to make the watering a bit easier, possibly connecting it up to a nearby water butt.

Any tips/advice/things to watch out for? Is 1.5/2 feet of tops soil enough?

What are you planning on growing in there?

Oh...and sorry- how rude of me!...nice to see you again
    Last edited by Nicos; 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

veggies!

off the top of my head:
      courgettes, beets, garlic, chard, spinach, dwarf beans, some edible flowers maybe, kale, leeks.

i already do chillies, aubergines, cucs and toms in self watering pots ;-)

Comment

The deeper the soil/compost level, the more resilient it will be to drying out.. i'd be tempted to go a foot extra on soil/organic stuff and a foot less on the rubble/hardcore.
        I fear no beer

Comment

^^^ me too!..the drying out was my concern (- even with soaker hoses), as well as the depth of the root systems.
          More expensive I know, but you'll be surprised at the speed in which the soil will decrease in depth over a few years as the organic material rots right down.
          Not something most peeps consider

Comment

Hi you're quite near me It would be handy if you could find someone digging a pond-take their top soil & rubble as a help to you both? How are you getting rid of the fish?

Comment

Brill idea JJ!

It would need to be the top soil though for the top couple of feet...not the deeper soil .
              Last edited by Nicos; 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                *How are you getting rid of the fish?

Just a suggestion
                Attached Files
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

If they are decent Koi you sell them to the highest bidder.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    P&P can be a bit of a stumbling block.................
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Fish are hopefully being picked up by the brother in law tomorrow. Got a lead on some topsoil from freecycle so fingers crossed....

Comment

Good luck CK, I hope it all pans out for you.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Chances are they are mongrels, more money in the water pumps, air pumps, filter and accessories.

As has been suggested already 3 ft top soil/compost would be better than 1.5-2 ft, primarily because of settlement but there are other reasons.
                          Consider a layer of manure over the top for next winter, gets the worms working, will increase the fertility, keep it warmer, so you should of to a flying start next season.
                          Last edited by fishpond; 04-04-2015, 04:34 AM. Reason: typo
                          Feed the soil, not the plants.
                          (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                          Bob

Comment

A quick update.

The fish are gone - dispatched to my brother in laws pond. They were mongrels so not worth much.

The next job was to break up the bottom of the bond to ensure the plot can drain. This proved a real pain as the pond had been lined with fiberglass. Once I got through that I hit about 8-10" of steel reinforced concrete :-(

After much swearing I managed to dig a wide trench through that and filled it with a few inches of water to check that it drains, which I'm glad to say it does!

I've manged to get some rubble in the bottom but need to get some more really. Then I'll be trying to source lots of topsoil. Ideally I'd get this all form freecycle. Depending on the quality if I do find some I might resort to buying a couple of big bags of good quality stuff for the top.

I'm itching to get it filled so I can get planting in time for this summer. Naturally i'll give it a good dose of manure over the winter to make sure next year gets off to a flying start.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X