No announcement yet.

Pea germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I will see what happens with the method I have tried with this 1 pea. If it works I will do the rest this way at the end of this month. If not I will try some of the other methods mentioned in the link you posted above.

The method I have tried is this one mentioned on page 1 of the above link -

"After reading here on the vine I always pre-chit my peas in a trays before sowing them, just wait until you see them sprouting then pop them in compost"

Comment

After chitting mine go into 3" pots into the cold green house until they are ready for planting out. Started putting mine out today.
      Attached Files
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        I always just drop mine in the hole and they sort themselves out, I think if i mess with them too much I'll only go and break of the root.
        Originally posted by Scoot View Post
        Do you not bother to pre-germinate in water first?
        Scoot a chit them then just drop them into the planting hole trying not to disturb the tiny root.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          Scoot a chit them then just drop them into the planting hole trying not to disturb the tiny root.
          That is basically what I have done. Into moist compost.

Comment

Right, the pea I am trying (just making sure the ones I have will grow, plus which method is best for growing) is in the compost, in a 3" pot which was watered when I first planted it. Do I carry on watering? Just the soil is starting to look a little dry (on the surface anyway).

Comment

I would not, be careful about over watering the seed can easily rot. I usually plant the germinated seed in damp compost and then avoid watering until we have a show of green, even then it is very little until the roots show through the bottom of the pot and by then they are ready for planting out.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                I would not, be careful about over watering the seed can easily rot. I usually plant the germinated seed in damp compost and then avoid watering until we have a show of green, even then it is very little until the roots show through the bottom of the pot and by then they are ready for planting out.
                OK. I shall avoid watering it until I see the shoot coming through the compost (hopefully).

Comment

update on the peas. Well I chitted them and 95% of them developed roots. I planted the ones that developed roots and not all of them developed leaves. And some of the plants look a little weak. I don't think the seed was all it could have been. Oh well. Luckily I impulse purchased the Lord Leicester as i will still have enough peas. I shall try Ne Plus Ultra again next year with a different seed merchant, possibly Pennards that sombody linked too, and see if i have better success.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X