Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost dilemma! Need help please!!!

Hi!

So I've put together a raised bed (2x1m) last week and I now need to fill it up with compost for growing vegetables (see pic)

The search for the right compost is quite exhausting! I'd like to go organic and peat free and I think I've narrowed it down to either Vital Earth Vegetable Compost or a bulk bag from compostdirect.

Does anybody have some experiences and recommendations to share?
    I'd like to grow salads, onions, radishes, beans, potatoes, chard etc and I'm based in Oxford.

Your help is really appreciated, I am really stuck!
    C

Personally I'd want to have a proportion of topsoil in there as just MPC, which is very light and will dry out quickly. How high is your bed? Sorry the attachment didn't work. Are you going to fit all those vegetables in 2m squared? Potatoes might be better grown in potato bags or pots.

Comment

Hello Clement and welcome.
      I haven't used either of the products you mention but this http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1328914 may help you widen, or narrow, your options.
      You don't have to use 100% compost to fill your raised bed. If you have any spare topsoil in your garden you could use it to fill the base and top it off with compost. May be a cheaper option.

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies! I'll give another go to the attachment, hopefully it will work.

I'll have a look at compareTheCompost, but good idea to start with topsoil!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
          Personally I'd want to have a proportion of topsoil in there as just MPC, which is very light and will dry out quickly. How high is your bed? Sorry the attachment didn't work. Are you going to fit all those vegetables in 2m squared? Potatoes might be better grown in potato bags or pots.
          Hi, the bed is 45cm high. You're right i might need to grow potatoes elsewhere.
          Sorry, what does MPC stand for?
          Thanks!!!
          C

Comment

MPC = Multi purpose Compost

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
              HI,
              When you mention a portion of topsoil, do you mean mixed with MPC or at the bottom of the bed?
              Thanks!

Comment

2M x 1M x 54cm is 1080 Litres - which is a bit more than one 900L Builder's Bag - 900L would fill it to 45cm, but then it would probably compact somewhat.

The "Veggie Gold Compost" you linked too sounds like an appropriate mix : "A formulated blend of compost, well rotted manure and top soil, producing a rich fertile soil with a high organic matter content. Ideal for creating vegetable patches and raised beds."

Have you got (or have you got room for) a compost heap / bin? If you made your own compost from plant waste and kitchen (vegetable) scraps/waste that would give you enough material to top it up, and revitalise it, next year
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I would not worry too much but I do suggest that more then just compost goes in.
                  You will want some top soil to bulk it up, and some manure for when the stuff in the compost leaches out - only a few weeks. Also dig over the top of what the raised bed is on, just integrates the whole lot.
                  My raised bed had had just about everything dug into it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X