No announcement yet.

Tomatoes- using side shoots for extra plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's common practice Gayle, especially if you only have 1 or 2 of a particular variety. I'll be doing it with my black plum as only 1 seed has germinated.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

i am now feeling very stupid for throwing side shoots away on the plus side i have just learnt my first lesson from this forum but is it just water in the milk bottle or a rooting solution of some sort thank you in advance

Comment

Just water - no magic potions
        Whenever I remove the sideshoots I stick them in water, its a bit of an obsession. They root very easily.

Comment

Just water is fine, weed. I rooted a shoot off a Tiger Tom plant last year, just before all my tomato plants got assassinated by late blight. And I've managed to keep it going indoors overwinter. It's a rather messy looking plant with lots of shoots, and a few flowers already. So I'll probably take some more shoots off it for the garden. I'm glad to have it because it's quite a rare variety from the Heritage Seed Library and I don't think I have any more seeds.

Comment

well i will be joining the tomato shoot club this year i will also try other things too cheers all

Comment

AS others have said just water, but keep the bottle topped up daily. The roots will form up to the water level, but if they are exposed to air they will die back.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just to confuse you, on here we call the sideshoots "armpits" as they're taken from the "armpit" of the tomato.

Comment

Tomatoe Cuttings From Side Shoots

I took some cuttings off my tomatos last year using 4 to 6 inch side shoots. Either use 1 cutting per pot or as I did about 6 dibbed into a 6 inch black pot, a black pot is better cause it absorbs the heat giving a better micro climate for root development. Simply place the pot out of direct sunlight and keep the compost moist then rooting should take no longer than a few weeks. Pot on, leave till established then put into final position and grow on as normal. These new plants fruit every bit as good with the added advantage that they usually get their first truss much lower down the stem than those grown from seed giving 1 or 2 more trusses before stopping occurs.
                  When selecting the parent plant make sure they are strong and healthy as any diseases will be passed on to the cutting.
                  Last edited by NopyKnobbler999; 07-04-2015, 09:33 PM. Reason: My spelling mistake

Comment

Mine, sown in early February and grown under lights, are still not advanced enough to take a side-shoot cutting ... but I'll keep you posted
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

So does everyone put their side shoots in water or can you plant them directly into compost in pots to get them root

Comment

I put mine straight into compost and I'm pretty certain they always take.
                        I take the pot with the compost to the plant so the armpits come off and go straight into a pot and then get watered immediately and put in the shade.
                        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I put mine in water until I see some root growth.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder because my red cherries are ridiculously leggy so I'll be doing this too. Brain like asieve so thanks

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies, I put 2 in water and 1 in compost

Comment

Like an idiot I actually went and picked all mine off my two biggest plants yesterday, they got put into the compost bin! Then I saw this thread today. I guess I'll just have to wait until the others catch up and use those instead.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X