help sick chilli plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    I wouldn't expect a young plant like that to be showing starvation symptoms.
    I don't know Kristen, it looks like quite a big plant already. If it was growing fast in a smaller pot than it's in now, it could easily have run out of nutrients. I've seen this in my own plants that weren't potted on fast enough. The type and brand of compost could also be a factor. Some I've used have obviously had a longer lasting nutrient supply than others.

Did they come to any conclusion about the cause on that other forum? It also looks like nutrient deficiency to me, but maybe not the same nutrient as BL's.
    Last edited by Zelenina; 28-03-2015, 06:16 PM. Reason: word extraction

Comment

Did you use feed when you potted on?
      I know when leaves go yellow and dried at the tips the first thought is it needs nutrients but after repotting this shouldn't be the case.
      If you've over fed, the leaves can go yellow and the tips get burnt and dried out....

Comment

That's true Scarlet. Similar symptoms can also be caused by excess nutrients. But would it happen that quickly? He said he only repotted it 2 days ago, so I think running low on nutrients in its previous pot could be the cause. Although perhaps there wasn't any need for the BFB if he used new bought-in compost. There should be enough nutrients in it for a while anyway. I'm inclined to agree with Martin H. Leave it for a few days and watch the new growth to see if it begins to recover before trying any other remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
          it looks like quite a big plant already
          I thought it looked "correct" for the pot it is in but ...

If it was growing fast in a smaller pot than it's in now,
          ... I had assumed it had been in that pot a while, as only for a few days it may have been starved before being moved. Have to say that has never happened to me though, I have left Tomato plants in small pots FAR too long before potting on and they never looked starved like that, but I use a quality commercial compost, might be that the manufacturer of this compost has skimped??

Did they come to any conclusion about the cause on that other forum? It also looks like nutrient deficiency to me, but maybe not the same nutrient as BL's.
          Not really, no. All the obvious things were suggested: too much water, too much sun, magnesium deficiency (I struggle with that, this young in a plant's life and so long before it attempts to carry fruit, but "could be" of course), nutrient deficiency in general and duff compost. The upshot, in other forum, was "throw away and sow again" except for my voice!! which said "Find the cause first, otherwise it will happen again"
          Last edited by Kristen; 29-03-2015, 08:24 AM.
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

@the big lebowski: What brand of potting compost are you using?

Comment

I'm wondering if it just got a bit soggy and it's sulking? The compost does look a bit dark in the photo although it's hard to tell, and it was mentioned that it had been over-watered and re-potted... I bet it perks up when it dries out and warms up a bit .
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post

... I had assumed it had been in that pot a while, as only for a few days it may have been starved before being moved. Have to say that has never happened to me though, I have left Tomato plants in small pots FAR too long before potting on and they never looked starved like that, but I use a quality commercial compost, might be that the manufacturer of this compost has skimped??
                )
                I can't see that it's too little nutrients. Toms I'm giving away get left if they're not collected and they don't go like that. they shouldn't need a feed in new soil. I really think it's the opposite..too much feed/root burn.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 29-03-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Toms I'm giving away get left if they're not collected and they don't go like that. they shouldn't need a feed in new soil.
                  me too, but what if it is a cheap compost and contains little/no nutrients in the first place?

Hmmm ... might be "Seed Compost" perhaps? (even so ... I am doubting there are not enough nutrients)

Comment

Hmm, is this tomato being grown under lights??

Comment

hi all thanks for all the replys, it was being grown in a 5" pot then moved up to a 6" pot with new homebase plus potting compost (which is what it was planted in from seed) they are under 2 125 whatt blue cfl`s ,the reason i re potted it was it had been i trays with 6 plants per tray and i think i over watered it so i thought by adding some more dry compost it might help it out abit,i also have a chilli that looks abit like the one's in the other persons photo,thanks again for all your replys its great to be able to ask others for advice ,cheers p.s. if it is overwatering how long do i wait to water again ?
                      Attached Files
                      The Dude abides.

Comment

ps scarlet i havent used any feed except bfb when i potted on and thanks zel too
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

Looks like over watering to me

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                          if it is overwatering how long do i wait to water again ?
                          Fill a pot of the same size with compost straight from the bag.

Wait until the weight of your Tomato plant and pot is pretty much down to that same weight. Right now I would guess that it will probably weight around twice as much?

When you water in future try standing the pot in a tray/dish of water for 5 minutes, rather than watering from the top. And only do that once it starts to feel "light". You'll soon get the feel for the weight when you put it into the dish, and again when you take it out, and be able to gauge when it is getting light / dry.

Comment

hi , thanks i have had a bit of a think an i recon its a temp problem they are next to the radiator because it was good to get the temp up while germinating the seeds but now i think its too high so i`ll move it and see how it does for a week then take it from there thanks to you all for the advice ,cheers
                            The Dude abides.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X