No announcement yet.

Welsh onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently this can happen with Welsh onion, the recommendation is to treat them like chives and cut them back, you could also give them a dose of high nitrogen fertiliser.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well all but one stems have gone almost white and collapsed with the undeveloped seed heads. Just one left that is green. Should I cut it down or will this finish it off ?

BTW - How can I stop that annoying add linked with this site loading full page when I try to post here ?
      Last edited by Marb67; 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Now the last stem is giving up.I fed with notrogen as advised here. why oh why oh why do I get this kind of thing happen time and time again when I make sure I follow the advice on care ? So many bought plants just die

Attached Files
        Last edited by Marb67; 19-07-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Marb, they do die back after flowering, that's the natural cycle. They will be back next spring. If you want to prolong the life of the others (and not save seed) cut the flower heads of before they form seed heads. They look no different to the ones I have that I'm trying to save seed from. Everything dies back eventually.
          Welsh Onions (red)

Comment

Ok, thanks. No idea you see as I have never had welsh onions before. Hope they do come back. The Reason i was concerned was because the label says they produce stems all year long as opposed to normal onions which is the reason I gave them a go.

Comment

I had them on my plot when i got it. They grew like weeds and after tasting there very mild onion taste I dug them out and what i didn't compost I gave away. The plotholders i gave them to have also chucked them out now so they mustn't have been impressed either.

Each to their own though!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I quite like them. I sowed seeds a few years ago and now have a decent clump in a large trough at the lottie. I think maybe they would have lasted longer in a larger pot, would have thought that the roots wouldn't have much space based on the photo.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

They'll take a while for the clump to grow large enough to pull some - next year maybe.
                  This may help How to grow Welsh Onion - Know your Vegetables

Comment

I quite like them too - great in a salad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X