No announcement yet.

Gardening arachnaphobes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like spiders we've got a few of them living in the house, the baths even got a spider ladder so they can easily climb out.
    What does bother me are cows I don't like the way they look at me.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I was rather proud of my pic, my mum was conditioning me to be scared of them as a child, not deliberately, just by her reactions to them and her warnings. I didn't want to be as I had learned they were useful so I forced myself to remove them for her. Later on my grandparents didn't help with their Australian spider stories.

I volunteered to hold a silver tarantula on a school trip when I was 9-10 but I was told it was safe so I just kept telling myself that.

I can rescue my other half from the house ones but wasn't sure my reaction to a big one these days. They sometimes make me jump if they scuttle along the floor.

In the pic I was told by the locals the spider was poisonous so, to me, it showed to me I had conquered my fear, hence my proud 'No' - sorry if I worried anyone.

I wouldn't go with the 'flooding' method to overcome your fear, but the gradual conditioning may work for you. Have someone with you you trust to help?

Maybe your doctor can recommend someone local to help? Even a few sessions may be enough to get you on the road to overcoming your fear.
      Last edited by Bohobumble; 20-03-2015, 09:21 AM. Reason: typos galore

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        I like spiders we've got a few of them living in the house, the baths even got a spider ladder so they can easily climb out.
        What does bother me are cows I don't like the way they look at me.
        I love cows, but I do believe that sheep look at you a bit funny, they're a bit on the edge of something if you ask me.

Comment

I wish I could get over it. One day maybe. I'd rather tackle a snarling dog over a spider. Daft I know, but thats what makes it difficult. If I thought they would hurt me then I'd be 100 x worse haha

Comment

I used to hate them up until my teens. The idea of clearing out the shed would be a nightmare.

Ultimately, it was getting close to them that basically cured me. I would still jump at one if it surprised me but they dont bother me anymore. I'm not in a rush to handle a tarantula though.

I used to live with a couple of people who were petrified of them, so having to the person to remove them in a glass got me more familiarised.

Also having a large one crawl up my neck (on two occaisions) helped lessen the fear; though they made me jump a hell of a lot obviously

Comment

I can't stand them. I'd rather have a rat on my face than a spider.
              He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                I've just pulled the 2 posts with spider piccies - even though they are interesting to see

Sparrow- you're right...this should be a spider- free zone
                Aww I don't like them much myself but can deal with them with a glass and piece of paper or card...but censoring the poor things...bring back the spider pics!
                sigpic

Comment

Not at all keen on spiders. But it's the scuttling ones I really don't like, the big ones that appear in the house. So I'm mostly OK with the ones in the garden, kept at arms length. The shed though is a place of terror.
                  Garden Grower
                  Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

We live in a fairly old house with various gaps where there shouldn't be, see landlord, and we get some monsters come in. That's what a 5 year old comes in useful for, he has no fear of them. Picks them up and puts them outside sweet as a nut.
                    Down the allotment we've had some mega ones in the shed, OH jumped and nearly fell off the decking when he moved some pots and one shot out.
                    I just don't like the way they jump out and then shoot off and then you don't know where they have gone. I'm not scared I just end up jumping about a lot. Keeps the kids entertained.
                    I have heard they don't like anything with lemon juice in, someone told me they taste with their feet and the juice is to acidic for them.
                    sigpic

Comment

SPIDERS? Come out here then - LOL! Big black/brown hairy legged ones apparently dead floating in the swimming pool! Hoof them out with a net, they dry off and run off! Big fat juicy ones come in on the log burner wood and crawl into my kitchen! Like the one I had the other day. It was "sitting" on the kitchen ceiling just above the door-way! "GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" yells me! I am trapped in my kitchen!" Reply from OH - "problem with that dear?" And then to top it all off, later on that afternoon (not raining) I paid a visit to my "girl cave" and there in the rafters was a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am not particularly fond or scared of spiders and I would not deliberately harm one of these wonderful creatures but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - GET OUT OF MY SHED AND GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!! Leave me alone and I will leave you alone. Thank you dear spiders.
                      Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                        I can't stand them. I'd rather have a rat on my face than a spider.
                        I used to be scared of spiders but after a few years on the allotment I've gradually got used to them. I'll even help them out of the bath these days

But rats................................I'm so scared of them. I've eventually got to the stage where I can control my shaking enough to use husbands airgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
                          I wish I could get over it. One day maybe. I'd rather tackle a snarling dog over a spider. Daft I know, but thats what makes it difficult. If I thought they would hurt me then I'd be 100 x worse haha
                          Totally agree with you. Spiders are the only thing I am worried about. Snakes, rats, beetles, mice, slugs, maggots etc - all fine. An eejit stuck a tarantula on me when I was a kid to overcome my fears. As long as I can walk away I am ok. If I have to deal with them in the flat, I can kill them, but then I hurl and am very shaky. Having the allotment has helped a bit - screaming heebijeeebies are much fewer.
                          Last edited by sparrow100; 20-03-2015, 11:50 PM.
                          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Knowing that spiders over here can't hurt/kill me (unlike some Aussie spiders!) means I'm not particularly afraid of them anymore but I still don't like them. Can't stand the way they move!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X