No announcement yet.

newspaper plant pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey WiZer, they look great, but how did you do it? Can you explain in words of one syllable what I should do to construct pots like yours?

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat
      Have a look at website called self sufficient-ish. They have instructions for making newspaper pots, amongst loads of other great stuff. Cannot remember which grape first mentioned this site - think it was slovenia4us - if it was .....good call, really good site.
      http://www.selfsufficientish.com/newspaperpots.htm

Comment

I also had trouble trying to work it out at first. It's hard to photograph the different steps and even harder to explain in text. Here are a couple of points that may help you.

1. If you are using a normal size tabloid newspaper than dont tear it in half, just fold it in half and that's your first fold. i.e your folding down the seam of the 2 pages to get your first fold.

2. Step 6 was what stumped me. It is asking you to open up the fold and push middle to the opposite centre, this forms a triangle on both sides of the fold and leaves you with a flat piece on the other side. You then repeat that fold on the other flat piece forming one big triangle.

If I get time tonight I will try to photograph the trick folds. Please don't give up, once you get it right you'll be churning them out in seconds!

Comment

FWIW I find that the method on that site is the easiest and most effective. Coupled with the fact you can get 12 in a seed tray, it also saves space over the plastic equivalents

Comment

I use toilet rolls & kitchen rolls - I have some healthy looking broad beans in a dozen loo rolls, they go soft but not mushy when wet so you can see if they need watering and as the plant grows they will split rather than get root bound like they would in a pot. This is the first year I've gone the full monty with the garden, have just dabbled with toms and cu's & marrows/courgettes in the past.

Comment

Go for it WiZer, I await your instructions!

Comment

My first attempt! Not bad for a beginner - I'm going to make a load of them now for my courgettes and beans!
                Attached Files

Comment

much better instructions wil be having a go tonight

Comment

I have attempted to make it a bit clearer on my website. I'm not sure if I really achieve it, but if you want to hve a look:

http://www.wizer.co.uk/?p=29

I tried the method on self sufficientish and tbh I found it a bit hit and miss. What I like about the origami method is that they can be churned out very quickly. I always make more then enough and they can be stored neatly under a flat weight for when I need them.
                    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 11-04-2006, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks a million WizeR, the divorce is off and we can go out tonight now I have finally managed to make one only slightly deformed pot!

Comment

Hello All mad paperpotters,

Anyone make me a deckchair please? (lol)

Comment

Originally posted by WiZeR
                          I always make more then enough and they can be stored neatly under a flat weight for when I need them.
                          Agreed and in use they fit nicely 5 x 4 into a polystyrene fish box.
                          I also make smaller half page ones.

Comment

Oh The Londoner you have found a use for it. I usally recyle mine from the back of the toliet door. But better instructions
                            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Oh wow, I've got the nack, but it's the size of an urn!!

I think half sized ones are in order instead

Cheers Wizer
                              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

newspaper plant pots

Thanks Wizer I have finally got the knack and am producing both large and very smal pots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X