Sowing beetroot seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    I'm surprised that works for you as my Parsnips (in Newspaper pots 4" - 6" tall) the tap root starts coming out of the bottom around the time that the first True Leaf appears, so in a module the tap root must be hitting the bottom perhaps before the Seed Leaves are showing?
    Well.. they worked last time I tried, so it'll be interesting to see how they do this year . I assume that unless the tap root is actually bent, it should be OK once planted? The ones I tipped out and planted today all showed fairly straight roots as far as I could tell, once they had the freedom to spread out. I wonder if they're flexible enough to cope while they're tiny, like a baby's skull being soft and bendy??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kathyd; 16-03-2015, 06:16 PM. Reason: adding images
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Last year i used rootrainers and module cells. Maybe luck but my first year of growing beetroot and i was more than chuffed

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post

I assume that unless the tap root is actually bent, it should be OK once planted?
        yes, sounds fine to me. Your seedling picture looks fine, just that mine, with true leaves that big, would have a tap root much longer.

Are you using a stumpy variety perhaps?
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I would normally sow Beetroot in modules but this year am trying something different. Instead, I have made some Beetroot tape & gonna lay them direct in the ground.
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 16-03-2015, 06:51 PM.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I don't have a lot of space in my garden so most things are started of in newspaper pots/modules that way I only plant out a viable plant.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'd never grown beetroot before last year when I grew some for my friend in her veg garden. Not knowing any different I just sowed a line of Boltardy seeds at the beginning of May and left them where they were without thinning them or anything. They produced some lovely beetroot. Beginners luck?
              Last edited by Penellype; 16-03-2015, 07:16 PM.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

yes, sounds fine to me. Your seedling picture looks fine, just that mine, with true leaves that big, would have a tap root much longer.

Are you using a stumpy variety perhaps?
                It's Gladiator F1. Don't know if they're classed as stumpy or not to be honest! I use them 'cos they say they're resistant to canker. The ones in raised beds are limited to that depth anyway (about 8-10"), and the ones that go in the ground get huge tops and lots of wriggly legs... we have really, really stony soil here. So going to stick to raised beds from now on.

Comment

Gladiator F1 is what I grow too. Definitely long and cone shaped, and not stumpy

'Tis a mystery to me that you are getting away with module ... jealous as its a lot less work than newspaper pots!!

Comment

Gladiator F1 is what I grow too. Definitely long and cone shaped, and not stumpy

'Tis a mystery to me that you are getting away with module ... jealous as its a lot less work than newspaper pots!!
                    Why don;t you try it again, with just a few? Pre-chit, bung in modules (mine are quite small, 24 in tray I think), and see what happens? The roots on some of mine were really long when they came out, but seemed to straighten out again... Mind you, I'll be laughing the other side of my face if they grow all wonky after all won't I .

Comment

I've got some chitting now, read for my main Newspaper pot potting, so I'll give some a go in modules too.

Comment

I'm letting my beetroot self seed now, like its cousin the chard. I get 1000s of plants, but they aren't wasted, they're pulled up then left on the soil as mulch
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X