No announcement yet.

Peas rotting in pot (again)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this method also be applied to runner beans? As I also had the same problem with these last year

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^They weren't white beans by any chance as I always have more of a problem than with red varieties.

It would seem to me the problem with both peas/beans is that they need the moisture to help divide the hard case but too much and they are prone to rot.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It could apply to any seed/bean Jonny. Too much water/moisture could encourage rotting of the seed.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Perhaps the key is to soak them for a time, then sow in not too moist compost.

I have sown directly and in modules before and had no issues (they are mouse-related and come later) with germination but its only a damp compost that doesn't get another watering until they've got some leaves to show for themselves.

If you are sowing mid-winter then I suggest you want germination to happen asap and a little windowsill warmth for your modules will be a good idea to get them started, once they're up tho, keep them cooler and without the propagator lid. Water as needed.

Comment

I pre-chit everything I can these days on soggy kitchen roll on a small plate or saucer. Toughies like peas and broadies stay on the soggy paper until the little root shows through (top up water as needed), but some of the smaller beans just get a good soaking first or they go mushy if left soaking too long. I even pre-germinate parsnips now - same method, leave until a tiny root pokes out. Works like a dream .
            sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Always keep a bottle of mint sauce handy just in case they go mushy. Memories of Goose Fair lol

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^They weren't white beans by any chance as I always have more of a problem than with red varieties.

It would seem to me the problem with both peas/beans is that they need the moisture to help divide the hard case but too much and they are prone to rot.
                No the runners were red.

Another question when chitting, should they be kept in a dark place until the roots start to poke through?

Comment

Mine sit on the window sill. Just put my peas into water tonight.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I had problems with beans rotting last year so I have just done a trial of a couple of beans but I made sure they were not too wet just a modest amount of water such that there was some moisture in the compost, but certainly not wet or damp. Also uncovered.

Both have sprouted nicely so I have done some more the same.

So lay off the water, don't kill them with kindness, they only need a little, the compost should still be fairly free, not sodden.

Comment

"Tails" showed this morning

Comment

first 24 got their tails over night they are now in 2" pots in the GH.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm taking your advice and trying the 'soaking method', for some mange tout.
                          DottyR

Comment

Remember rinse them with fresh water and drain everyday or they may go fusty.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Fusty now that is a good old word - my Granddad use to use that one.

Comment

I have had a thought about this, maybe it important they are not too cold, the beans I germinated
                                we not on the windows will but more central in the house and hence a bit warmer.

I think that will help them germinate, if they feel a bit cold they may think it is to early to
                                sprout and then end up being soaked in water for weeks on end leading to them disintegrating as
                                happened to many of mine last year

I never soaked mine at all this year, I just thought to myself would they get soaked when growing naturally and I figure probably not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X