Which Broad bean?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companion plant Nasturtiums?

Not something I bother with, but I think I have read that it attracts the blackfly onto the Nasturtiums. Colourful too, of course
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I always grow Meteor. The do well as an autumn set, good frost tollerance and heavy croppers. Why doesn't anyone else seem to do them?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Now, I'd like you to tell me what beans you have, which ones you're growing and why - just in case I need to buy or sow something different
        Sorry I somehow missed this thread, being ill would have played a part in that anyhoo BB's, I grow

Aquadulce
        Crimson Flowered
        Jonah

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        Do folk plant multiple varieties for any particular reason?

Spread the season early/late perhaps?
        I like planting several varieties to spread the season, help reduce failure (some years certain varieties thrive some years not) and I like the range of flavour and texture with in a particular veg.

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        They'll be needing some protection from mice?

Cheese missing from one of my traps last night ... trap not sprung though ...
        Try chocolate sauce, mice can't run off with it then. Plus you can keep a bottle tucked up somewhere away from the kitchen

Comment

How did they do?

In one word - disappointing Make that two words - very disappointing.
          I picked some immature pods early and ate them, pods and all. With hindsight I should have kept doing that.
          Black fly arrived and I cut the tops off the plants which, mostly, sorted it.
          Yesterday I picked most of the remaining pods. Big fat pods - many were completely empty, at best one or two beans. Unfertilised
          Some plants are throwing up new stems and have been left. The remainder have been cut right down in the hope of a 2nd lease of life.
          Definitely not a good crop for me this year

How was it for you?

Comment

I've not grown broad beans before. In fact, strangely I've not eaten one since I was a kid. I used to like them though. My father tells me you can grow them over winter and get the out the way by early summer. If this is true that would be great as I only have one place for beans (currently growing runners and French) he tells me aquadulce is the variety. I see in the garden centre that The Sutton can also be grown over winter. Any one ha any luck with these or other varieties over winter?

Comment

Well my aquadulce (winter sowing) this year went black, horrible and gave up. My crimson flowered (spring sowing) were completely bombarded with black fly and are now re-shooting but are likely to be pulled and Jonah (my late sowing) are only now thinking about filling out. So I need to get some more seed for next year

On the plus side the red epicure and jonah my Dad grew were fantastic so I have had a few servings of BB's

Comment

Hasn't been the best year for broad beans on my plot. As usual, the young plants got mauled by the pea and bean weevil. Then we had a really bad storm around the time the beans were in flower, which I think did the most damage. I only got full bean pods on the lower quarter of the stems - higher than that and nothing was pollinated.

Despite that, it wasn't a bad crop - the red Karmazyn I think did better than my White windsor and Ratio.

Comment

My overwintered Aquadulche did pretty well; got a decent crop, then the others (Karmazyn The Sutton and Crimson Flowered) were looking great, smothered in flowers juuuust starting to set, and the worst blackfly infestation I've ever seen appeared virtually overnight, and did so much damage I just gave up after a few attempts to rescue them, and pulled the lot.

I didn't get a single bean off anything but the Aquadulche.
                  My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Its Broad bean sowing time again and I've just ordered some "Wizard" Field beans from Realseeds.
                    Bario has grown them http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1328322
                    Anyone else?
                    What are you growing this year?

Comment

^^^Snap. I will be trying wizard as well

Comment

It'll be The Sutton as usual for me. The easy to manage low height and the gorgeous flavour come harvest time are a perfect combo.
                        My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Good news WilliamD! I am trying Sutton this year (my first time growing broad beans) - I was worried they wouldn't survive a northern winter but you have given me hope!

Comment

Good stuff Vixlylix. I actually sow them in Spring but they're always billed as suitable for overwintering so I'm sure will be fine. :-)
                            My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Its Broad bean sowing time again and I've just ordered some "Wizard" Field beans from Realseeds.
                              Bario has grown them http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1328322
                              Anyone else?
                              What are you growing this year?
                              You won't be disappointed VC, mine were epic this year, with 3 successional sowings I had a constant supply for most of the summer, until rust struck them down almost overnight.
                              Attached Files
                              He-Pep!

Comment

Thanks Bario That's just what I wanted to hear!
                                When did you sow them?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X