No announcement yet.

Minimum required information on seed packets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find info on packets particularly useful if I find something I haven't tried before. For example today, given the howling gale and intermittent sleet, I decided it was time to treat myself to a trip to my favourite garden centre, 15 minutes drive away. I used to work there years ago, pricking out seedlings, so it feels like home. I'd been talking to my friend who was championing the virtues of celeriac, a vegetable I have never eaten let alone grown. I decided on the spur of the moment to get some seeds, if it was suitable to grow. Being a decent garden centre they had loads of types of seeds and I was able to get a packet of Suttons, which in my opiniion have the best info. I could see that it said sow March to April in a propagator, and plant out in June and that it is not frost tolerant. In addition it tells me not to plant it in trenches like celery, and to remove lower leaves to help the bulbs to swell. Without that info I would not have had a clue.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Today I learned to take more notice in future of how many seeds are claimed to be in the packet. Opening a pack of Sutton's cucumber seeds there were four (I've had twenty from other brands). And looking closer there were only three and a half ...

Attached Files
      My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
        I could see that it said sow March to April in a propagator, and plant out in June and that it is not frost tolerant. In addition it tells me not to plant it in trenches like celery, and to remove lower leaves to help the bulbs to swell. Without that info I would not have had a clue.
        Yes, but I'd tell you, you need to start earlier and under light because germination is really bad without light and ideally 25C. Also don't bother with it unless you can plant it in a bog or water it profusely. Somebody else will be along in a minute and tell you something different.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
          Yes, but I'd tell you, you need to start earlier and under light because germination is really bad without light and ideally 25C. Also don't bother with it unless you can plant it in a bog or water it profusely. Somebody else will be along in a minute and tell you something different.
          Ok, lights and bog it is
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            Ok, lights and bog it is
            It is delicious if you get them nice and big an round otherwise they are a pig to clean and real slug traps, they also need netting against some bug or other can't remember which. No there's something that could be on a seed packet!

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
              Somebody else will be along in a minute and tell you something different.
              Hehehe ... here I am

I've grown Giant Prague and Monarch. I can't get Giant Prague to bulk up at all, but Monarch do all right. I deduce from that that Monarch may be more drought tolerant. I do water them, but nothing like as frequently as they would like, so you might get away without growing them in your bog

I think Suttons sell Monarch so here's hoping that's the one you got

Mine don't get huge, but enough to stick in some Potato mash for a Sunday Lunch for 4 to 6 of us.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                Hehehe ... here I am

I've grown Giant Prague and Monarch. I can't get Giant Prague to bulk up at all, but Monarch do all right. I deduce from that that Monarch may be more drought tolerant. I do water them, but nothing like as frequently as they would like, so you might get away without growing them in your bog

I think Suttons sell Monarch so here's hoping that's the one you got

Mine don't get huge, but enough to stick in some Potato mash for a Sunday Lunch for 4 to 6 of us.
                Yep, Monarch is the one I have

Comment

I like quite big so they can be roasted along with pumpkin or squash. I didn't do very well with Giant Prague although I think I read it is tastier and more rounded than other varieties.

Comment

This thread is leading me to one thought.......................instead of any info on the seed packet, all it needs to say is 'Full growing instructions and advice are available .........................on THE VINE. Please join and follow the members advice'..

End off.
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

...............but which Member's advice, Potty?

Comment

I'd like some accurate information on sowing / planting dates and at least a passing acknowledgement thats what is good for Penzance is totally inappropriate for the cooler parts of the uk. Get the sowing date wrong and the rest of the information is a waste of time. Refer people to the producers website would be a good start.
                        Last edited by TrialAndError; 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          ...............but which Member's advice, Potty?
                          All of em! That way just like the weather forecasters............... someone will get it right!!!
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

When I started this thread, I thought we would come up with a list of 10 or so basics that could go on a seed packet (printed with a John Bull printing set if necessary!) which would give a complete beginner a chance of producing a crop. For the most part (I know a couple of notable exceptions), though we have ended up comparing seed packets and web sites and actually got tangentated into how to grow a particular crop.

As with any new hobby, there is obviously no substitute for a bit of background reading and application of common sense. Should a seed packet have to say "Prepare a fine tilth" for example or "Keep weed free", "Protect from slugs", "Carrots grow under the leaves"?

The Franchi packets give a huge amount of information all in pictures but I checked out a carrot packet and it doesn't have spacing between rows.

Maybe the packets just need a warning that this is only limited information and you should increase your chance of success by learning a few things before you start or they put all the info on their web pages. (I'd look in Joy Larkham's book before I went to the web site of a company I already felt had let me down a bit but maybe we can ask people to rely on the web for info these days, it's a hard one, though, IMO)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X