No announcement yet.

Growing Carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as an aside, for anyone storing Loo Rolls for Spring plant raising I find the best way to store them is to squish them in half, longways, and stick several inside an unsquished one. A picture probably makes more sense than my useless description!

K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I take it you don't grow too many carrots or are just going to use this method for a few as it would be very time consuming for a staple crop. I usually grow about 30' of carrots to see us through the winter and the thought of that number of loo rolls is making me feel a bit queasy
      I've just planted 50 loo roles/newspaper rolls, just done them half an hour ago. Few seeds in each one and will thin out when they all come through. Took About an hour and a half altogether from rolling the newspapers, to filling them all up with compost I used for my tomatoes last year and then putting a few seeds in each on. I'll be trying the other method I which was mentioned to me on here, making a cone shaped hole in the soil and lightly filling with compost and then sowing a few seeds in each (thinning again where needed), to see which one is the best method.

I'm doing exactly the same 2 methods for my Parsnips as well. Planted 6 out in loo roles the other day. Got some parsnip seeds sowed onto wet toilet roll. The first 6 showed their roots on Sunday so went straight into the loo roles and will keep an eye out for when the rest come through.

Cone shaped holes in the ground for Parsnip as well at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
        to see which one is the best method.
        I'll be interested to hear how it turns out
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Call me daft but this is really hard work for a carrot!

A parsnip I can just about understand given the potential size but a carrot.

Surely it's easier to fill a 6 inch deep trench with sharp sand / soil and compost and just sow the seeds?

Comment

We'd run out of loo rolls way before I'd sowed them all, probably only use about 70 a year and imagine that's an over estimation. Here's only two of us and we're both out a lot.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X