Comment

Now look what you have done VC:
      Sowed
      Carrot Nantes Frubund
      Mizuna Red Knight
      Lettuce Salad Bowl
      Pak Choi Tricolour Mix
      Spinach Reddy
      and some more cabbage Hispi to replace the 2 that didn't germinate from before.

And there was I, sticking to my list and waiting for March...

Last edited by Penellype; 20-02-2015, 12:28 PM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

You're so easily persuaded, Penellype

I've sown:-

Early Mizuna
        Lemon basil
        Coriander Calypso
        Mixed Lettuce leaves
        Carrot - Amsterdam Forcing
        Radish - Polonez (week 6 of the Radish Challenge)

Comment

My mizuna and lettuce are showing signs of germinating
          Last edited by Penellype; 22-02-2015, 05:06 PM.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

^^^ That's fast, Penellype, just like the article promised

Comment

Yep, mizuna is usually the first to show, and the lettuces are sown on the surface of the compost so they are more visible. I'm not expecting the carrots to show for a while, but the pak choi won't be long.

Comment

Well its nearly 5 weeks since we did this - how's it going?

These are some of my veg:

Top row is Pak Choi, then Mizuna then Lettuce Salad Bowl. The bottom row is Kohlrabi that was planted later. These are in the cold frame waiting to be planted out when we stop getting frosts at night! Hopeful of harvesting some Mizuna and baby leaf lettuce within the 8 weeks.

These are the carrots:

As you can see these are still at the seed leaf stage - they completely stopped growing when I moved them into the growhouse about a fortnight ago. I would rate the chances of being able to eat a carrot from one of these plants within the next 3 weeks as absolutely zero, and I'm not really surprised.

The Spinach Reddy that I sowed on the same day was eaten at the weekend having grown 4 small true leaves. It tends to bolt after that when grown indoors.
                Attached Files

Comment

Just to tidy this up - I pulled the bucket of carrots today - that's 17 weeks from sowing. Not quite the 8/12 weeks they were supposed to take - although they have been ready to pull for a couple of weeks.

Very pleased with the results though. Better than any carrots I've grown before. Going to resow another bucketful tomorrow.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pak choi, lettuce and mizuna did it. Feb planted carrot yesterday but very sparse crop, basil 1/2 inch but with promising looking leaves.
                    No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

Aha, I was looking for this thread the other day but couldn't remember what it was called!

This is how mine did:

Carrot Nantes Frubund was first eaten 3rd June, about 1cm thick. This is just less than 15 weeks from sowing. 18 carrots grew from the 24 seeds sown (12 per pot).

Mizuna was nearly ready to eat as baby leaf when I planted it out on 7th April, and continued producing decent quantities of salad greens until 12th June when it was well and truly bolted.

Lettuce was slightly behind the mizuna, but being a cut and come again variety, I was able to eat the first small leaves around about the 8 week deadline of 17th April.

Pak Choi was a disappointment. One of the plants grew to a decent size and was eaten mid April, around the deadline date. The remainder stayed very small and were attacked by aphids before bolting while still too small to consider eating.

Spinach Reddy never produces very much to eat. It bolts very quickly, so if you can get 4 1 inch long leaves from each plant you are doing well. These were eaten at that stage on 22nd March, just 4 weeks and 2 days after sowing. You would need a huge number of plants and a great deal of time picking it to get a decent meal out of this variety.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X