No announcement yet.

Red worms in compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have many names: tigerworms, brandling, compost worms.
    There are 27 species of British earthworm
    British earthworms | Natural History Museum
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      incidentaly the brandling is a choice worm for fishing.
      Flaming American inspired Powerbait put paid to them though. I've just joined an Angling Association where fly fishing is the dominant means of catching brown trout, but you can use worm and minnow as well.
      Barb-less hooks only and definitely no Powerbait!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Early morning on the farm I would dig a few brandlings out of the muck heap and set off across the fields to the stream. trout are very shy fish so lots of careful crawling and hiding behind bushes. Nothing but a worm on a hook and a short rod.I knew already where the trout lay in wait and would drop the worm in and let it float down stream. The brook was only 6ft wide and 3 inches deep in the summer but had deeper places on corners and under trees. It produced brown trout from 1/2lb up to a pound and boy did those fish put up a fight. back home by 7 to start work and then Trout for breakfast at 10Am. I didn't have a clue how lucky I was at the time.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hi Ya. I wouldn't worry to much. The worms will find their way back to your bins. They are brandling probably and fishermen love them for bait. If you have a worm bin they are things to put in it. Some say the compost is more than ready for use when worms are visible but they break the compost down even further. They are the last stage. Put in a worm bin with rotting veg they produce a liquid that is very rich in nutrients and diluted 10 to1 with water is a good plant food. They don't like heat so move in after the microbiological activity in your heap has died down and started to cool. If you have put them in a trench with the compost they will continue to break it down. I am afraid they won't survive in soil. You could always put a few clods full of them into other compost bins and set up a colony. Hope this helps and happy gardening

Comment

I'm clearly doing something wrong as i havent got a single worm in my compost bin.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, everyone! An interesting subject.
              My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Originally posted by ugley_matt View Post
                I'm clearly doing something wrong as i havent got a single worm in my compost bin.
                They are probably there but have gone down due to the cold or lack of moisture. Unless you have New Zealand flat worms eating them all.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X