No announcement yet.

Suckering tomato plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I presumed 'suckers' meant side shoots too, never heard of suckers on toms otherwise.
    Won't add any advice as mine matches that given.

Comment

Suckers/side shoots I thought they were the same thing. Seems i'm not the only one to call them suckers...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=to...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Comment

If you look carefully you will see most of those pics are American
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Yep, American terminology. Sucker = Sideshoot/Armpit
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
            If you look carefully you will see most of those pics are American
            They probably call them Tomaytoes too

Comment

I try but always fail to take off all the sideshoots. I usually regret it, but I do find that there is plenty of fruit. I struggle particularly with Sungold which produces very vigorous sideshoots, and I always end up letting them ramble and tying them to anythign and everything. These are outdoors though - when I did a similar thing with Chololate Cherry in the greenhouse I had all the above mentioned issues - broken stems, botrytis, tomatoes in the way and loads that didn't ripen properly. I intend to TRY to remove the sideshoots in the greenhouse this year, and I'm not growing that variety again (poor taste).
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                i am also scared i will cut off the wrong bit.
                Dunno if this will help, but I have two suggestions:

Try to remove side shoots when they are small (an inch or two) - much less stressful for both you and the plant! Grasped between thumb and forefinger, right at the base where they meet the main stem, they just snap off.

In terms of not accidentally taking off the wrong bit (which would be the main growing shoot) only remove side shoots if you can see a flower truss above the side shoot, and work downwards from there (working upwards you might get to the top and then accidentally remove the wrong bit!)
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

suckering is uk term too since I seen it used in several old vegetable garden books.

Comment

Originally posted by heirloomsquash View Post
                    suckering is uk term too since I seen it used in several old vegetable garden books.
                    Might be a regional thing, definitely not a term I've ever heard and I think others were in the same boat hence the confusion

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I don't think suckering is used in connection with Tomatoes. Not in the UK anyway. Raspberries yes plus a few other fruits.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nts_59252.html
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X