Monty Don

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patsy View Post
    what channel is this Beechgrove on please?
    It used to be on BBC Scotland only (Thursday night I think), over the last year or two it has also been on BBC2 (certainly on a Sunday morning, perhaps also prime-time on BBC2, I've forgotten!)

I can get BBC Scotland on Sky

No announcement, as yet, as to when it will resume in the Spring

The Beechgrove Garden - Tern Productions

Previous episodes appear to still be available (but I haven't actually checked that they do actually display, and they might just be snippets )
    The Beechgrove Garden - Tern Productions: Programme Clippings
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I have been inspired to try Monty's idea of keeping carnivorous plants in the greenhouse; I have one Sarracenia so far, a birthday gift from my sister, I have sown 15 seeds of mixed varieties this week to grow some more.

As much as I love Monty's reassuring tones and dream of a greenhouse and garden on his scale, I must say that I prefer Carol Klein, her tips and comments are much more realistic in terms of both my gardening style, interests and significantly; budget!

Comment

Afraid I'm another one of those people who find Monty a bit "meh" and would much prefer to see more of Carol on GW! To be honest I record it and whizz to the bits I'm interested in or think are relevant to my garden - and that's nothing like the massive gardens they visit or have thousands to spend redesigning!

I'm was raised on Beechgrove Garden so it will always be my favourite - I find both the programme and the presenters are more realistic about the gardens people actually have, and how they want to use them. They also are more informative about how to go about basic tasks that not all new gardeners might know.

Gladly, it's back on Thursday 2nd April on BBC2 Scotland and across the network on Sunday 5th April, BBC2!

Comment

Beechgrove not back until April? Nooooooh!
          Follow my progress in gardening at altitude in France www.750metres.net

Comment

Originally posted by datz View Post
            Beechgrove not back until April? Nooooooh!
            Its always late, 'coz its based on the Scottish seasons ... they are forever telling me its time to sow something I put in weeks before, or to pull up a crop weeks before we are likely to get a frost

It'll be 10x worse for you in France
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Ha ha I usually find Beechgrove reliable for early season as it's very cold here in winter as we are so high up 750 metres /2200'.
              its been -4 during the day -7 at night for a few days now. But getting warmer today, it's sunny and 8c!

However Sean's Allotment on YouTube has restarted which I like for his down to earth approach.

http://youtube.com/user/thehortchanneltv

Garden this week
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey! a bit like VC! I don't do "Telly" But do catch up on "Gardening Programmes" via the web n stuff!

With regards to "Monty" Yeah! Knowlegable! Informative! and to me a good all round "Good Egg" Although some say "Pompuss" Self taught too! No fancy "Kew Garden" apprentiship Which is a bonus in my eyes! as it puts him on the same level as us lot! But obviously gets a liittle more cash n under gardening help thrown his way as Pots pointed out earlier, it is afteralll Telly n needs to be "Shiny" for that purpose!

Hey! Who cares! We all garden different! what may work for me may not work for anyone else!

As "Kristen" said, there are no set rules!

Here endeth the lesson!

Hot bath is shouting!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Oh! and on the subject of Gardening Presenters! Matt James! "City Gardener" My all time fave!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by rhonsal View Post
                    Afraid I'm another one of those people who find Monty a bit "meh" and would much prefer to see more of Carol on GW! To be honest I record it and whizz to the bits I'm interested in or think are relevant to my garden - and that's nothing like the massive gardens they visit or have thousands to spend redesigning!

I'm was raised on Beechgrove Garden so it will always be my favourite - I find both the programme and the presenters are more realistic about the gardens people actually have, and how they want to use them. They also are more informative about how to go about basic tasks that not all new gardeners might know.

Gladly, it's back on Thursday 2nd April on BBC2 Scotland and across the network on Sunday 5th April, BBC2!
                    Afraid i seriously disagree ). Find Monty s enthusiasm so addictive. Wealth of knowledge and passion for Gardening. Unfortunately Carol comes over so very false with her over the top fabricated joy. Think she struggles to compete with her colleagues and over compensates. Wouldnt buy a car off her lol

Comment

Well I suppose if we all liked the same thing it would be a very dull world (or garden) lol ��

Comment

I find him an old and gentle soul, never really fazed by much and quite happy to go at his own pace until the job is done. The world is whizzing by outside his garden and he hasn't noticed. Nigel the dog is adorable and the relationship between the two is lovely. My only criticism is that he has too much money to spend on his garden, which is just not relatable to! His new greenhouse is probably worth more than everything I own put together!
                        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

You might not be able to afford a GH like that Ancee but you helped buy his through your license fee.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've found that I quite like him presenting non gardening programmes on radio 4. May he stick to them and leave gardening programmes to other people
                            What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I like Monty as a presenter it's more the content that doesn't really gel with me. I think it's the lack of follow up on items that's most frustrating. On Beechgrove they have regular updates on how specific projects are doing and give the final results. I record both GW and Beechgrove and regularly skip items on GW but always watch all of Beechgrove. And don't get me started on the Allotment Challenge grrrrrr!

Comment

Beechgrove is the quickest half hour on TV. Even when they are doing something i am not intrested in i still watch and enjoy it. I have long since given up on GW.
                                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X