Where should I put'chitting' seed potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreaterMarrow View Post
    So...I'm thinking of going to buy some seed potatoes from the garden centre this weekend and try chitting them...then I was going to use a no-dig method I saw on "The Allotment" (an naff old ITV show that I found on YouTube in case you haven't seen it!) - basically you chuck some wet cardboard down, cover it in manure then put black plastic on and grow through that - anyone got any thoughts on this?

If it's a bad idea please tell me because I would rather an honest answer!

The only reason I'm going for this method is because I haven't managed to dig any beds on my new allotment yet because the ground is so hard due to all the frost!

Thanks

I live in the north west by the way, so it's not the warmest area!
    You still have lots of time to dig some beds, no?
    Potatoes can be sown right through to late April....
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
    sigpic

Comment

So...I'm thinking of going to buy some seed potatoes from the garden centre this weekend and try chitting them...then I was going to use a no-dig method I saw on "The Allotment" (an naff old ITV show that I found on YouTube in case you haven't seen it!) - basically you chuck some wet cardboard down, cover it in manure then put black plastic on and grow through that - anyone got any thoughts on this?

If it's a bad idea please tell me because I would rather an honest answer!

The only reason I'm going for this method is because I haven't managed to dig any beds on my new allotment yet because the ground is so hard due to all the frost!

Thanks

I live in the north west by the way, so it's not the warmest area!
      Theres still plenty of time to dig the allotment I have 2 and one is still not dug over fully (still full of weeds and couch grass from previous tenant) and I will be doing that til about mid-march I think (April the way things are going). The ideal time I have been told is mid-march to plant potatoes but as has been said they can be planted in April too. Anyways if its still cold and wet ground will be better to wait a little longer
      Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

In theory that method should work. I grew potatoes under black plastic years ago and they do grow. you will get some green ones near the holes in the plastic, and I found there was quite a bit of slug damage and the holes caused tended to get invaded by millipedes. I don't have any direct comparison with soil grown potatoes so I don't know if this was worse because of the plastic or whether the slugs would have damaged some anyway.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

The ground should be reasonable if he kept a flock of chickens on it. At least you won't be buying chicken pellets this year.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If the previous tenant only used it for keeping chooks, I would expect the soil to be in good nick, I would also be tempted NOT to add any more manure this year as it may become too alkaline.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

no chitting here i am planting one of my seed potatoes slide bottom pot, so can plant it out when weather get warmer

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                If the previous tenant only used it for keeping chooks, I would expect the soil to be in good nick
                Yup, I think "good nick" too, but I'm worried it will be compacted - only ever been walked on by owner tending to chickens.

perhaps delay any decision until it has thawed a bit and you can dig a trial piece and see how compacted it is. If you can't get it all dug in time, by Spring, then I would cover-and-plant-through; In addition to the Spuds you plan, Squash are a good plant for that. You can prepare some planting holes (with muck / dug / whatever) and the Squash will trail over several metres, so you don't need many planting holes / not very close together. Pumpkins / Butternut Squash / Summer squash - any of those take up a decent area, and some will store well into the Winter.
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Cool, Dry and good light, Simples

Comment

Bought my first potatoes this afternoon from Wilkos. Picked up a pack of Albert Bartlett Vivaldi, 5 seeds in the pack.
                    I'm sure I have a old egg box in the fridge.
                    Looking forwards to seeing them grow.
                    @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      If the previous tenant only used it for keeping chooks, I would expect the soil to be in good nick, I would also be tempted NOT to add any more manure this year as it may become too alkaline.
                      Thanks for the advice...I'm going to make a start on digging some beds this weekend and see how I get on. If I can get enough done I think I'll give up on the no-dig idea.

I'm also planning to collect some manure from the local stables but sounds like I can just leave that rotting down in bags for now.

Comment

I bought my seed potatoes from the allotment shop this morning. They are now all nicely laid out on a cool north windowsill.

Attached Files
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                          I bought my seed potatoes from the allotment shop this morning. They are now all nicely laid out on a cool north windowsill.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53151[/ATTACH]
                          When do you expect they will be ready for planting?

I bought my seed potatoes yesterday and the packaging says put them in a bright area 2 weeks before planting out...does that sound about right? It's still frosty most mornings here at the moment so I wonder whether it will be too early to plant them in late Feb.

Comment

I won't start planting out for about 5-6 weeks yet. But it's better to spread them out in the light than it is to keep them in the bag where they will grow long spindly shoots.
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

When do you expect they will be ready for planting?

I bought my seed potatoes yesterday and the packaging says put them in a bright area 2 weeks before planting out...does that sound about right? It's still frosty most mornings here at the moment so I wonder whether it will be too early to plant them in late Feb.
                              Sorry, but those instructions are rubbish. Yes, you could put them in a bright area a couple of weeks before you intend to plant them, but it doesn't tell you what to do before then ...

If you put them in the dark they will sprout, same as if they are in the light, except that in the dark the sprouts will be long, brittle, and useless - so you'll have to break them off and start again which will take the tuber time to re-make fresh "eyes" to sprout from, and wastes the energy that the tuber put into growing the, now useless, shoots.

Thus better to put them in the coolest, but must be frost free, location that you have that has light. It doesn't have to be direct light, a North facing windowsill is fine, even a shed that has a rubbish / tiny window; reasonable light from a window will mean that the shoots don't grow long and spindly "searching" for better light, and cool means they will grow slowly, and thus not be too long when it comes time for planting out.
                              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

We have no actual heating in our kitchen (which is an extension from the living/sitting room).

I put my seed potatoes (either in trays or egg boxes) on the 2 window sills in the kitchen and always have nice green/purple shoots prior to planting.

I would say the problems start when they are then planted - as weather, blight, etc. hold you to ransom.
                                Last edited by KevinM67; 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM.
                                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X