No announcement yet.

Do you have room for Squatters?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Asturian tree cabbage...............http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1296806 and some other giant kales in my kale forest

Comment

Squatters, they are not squatters......might be guests that have out stayed their welcome.

Squatters - goji berries. 4 years for berries and there was only a few that were rather unpleasant. Oh and liquorice homed for 4 years before being able to harvest will find out in Nov. if it was even slightly worth it
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-02-2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Squatters - Brussels sprouts
        They seem incredibly non-productive to me. Been growing them for years, get a few measly meals off them, and they take up almost a square yard a piece! The family claim they don't like them ... but always eat mine and say how nice they are although, in fairness, this year the In-laws bought a stalk of Sprouts with them for XMas meal [Why? They know I grow them <sigh!>] and they were incredibly bitter, by comparison, so perhaps that is a reason to grow them!!

Why are bought sprouts so bitter?

What do you choose, squatters or short-term tenants?
        I'm leaning towards trying some Oriental Veg for Winter harvest this year, I wonder if they would be more productive?

Its either that, or cover the plot with a greenhouse, heating and Canabis lighting for cropping all year round

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        I've ditched trying caulis, wasted space for what grows
        I grow Summer Caulis successfully - I've found that Candid Charm F1 grows well for me (where previously other varieties were hit & miss)

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
        I space cabbages closer that recommended as there are just me and boss so one small head is just right.
        Beechgrove did an experiment on Cabbage Spacing last year. Forgotten the results exactly, but the closer planted ones gave a much more family-meal-friendly-size

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
        I'll be doing sweetcorn again this year despite the fact that last year wasn't a bumper crop and it's pretty cheap.
        Sweetcorn, picked and in the boiling pan within a few minutes, has a flavour like night and day compared to well-travelled & stored Sweetcorn from the shops, so for me low price isn't a factor. Hopefully you'll get a better crop this year

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        I grow everything I eat on the veggie front as I want to know how it's been grown and what has been applied.
        ^^^^ This

After "Horse is Beef" (not that I wouldn't eat horse) who knows what is in / on bought Vegetables & Fruit. Pesticides are phased on out on such a regular basis I have little confidence that today's regulatory procedure is fit for tomorrow
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

my squatters are the parsnips, I sowed them early last year, an unopened packet from the previous year, much against gardening lore and got about 95% germination, we have been pulling them since September and only have about 6-8 left in the ground.... but they have all been whoppers, 3-4ins across and 18ins + in length, too big to use all in one meal so when the last are gone I will be missing them on the sunday lunch plate, we will never be rich but we don't go hungry..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X