No announcement yet.

buying tomato plants in the NE

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget you can break off the little side shoots too once they get going, stick them in a jar of water for a while and they'll throw out roots. So you get a head start on your plants a bit later in the year when it's lighter . Plus you get extra plants from F1 varieties of course, which often only give you a very few seeds for your money.

Last year I took loads of these cuttings and stuck them into 3" pots in the polytunnel. I didn't really have room for them but hated to waste them . They stayed in their 3" pots all summer, in a bundle between the beds, got watered very randomly including the leaves (a real no-no), never got pinched out, and ultimately produced as many tomatoes as the ones growing in the porch which had been nurtured all season. It's all so confusing...
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. I live in Sunderland so when should I sow and start them off on the windowsill? I normally grow Shirleys.

Comment

I reckon March will be about right
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
          I reckon March will be about right
          I'd agree, no real benefit in doing them earlier and you have to house the plants for longer

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by tomsk71 View Post
            Thanks everyone for your advice. I live in Sunderland so when should I sow and start them off on the windowsill? I normally grow Shirleys.
            Can we have a weekly update to see how you go? We can give you tips on the way

Comment

I too would go for mid to late March. With toms you always have to bear in mind what you are going to do with them 3/4 weeks on, as they can grow at an alarming rate.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X