Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potatoes in containers - what difference does size of container make?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please can someone tell what size the morrisons flower containers are? The ones I'm going to experiment with 1 potato in?

I'm very confused with all these sizes, ( only got a small brain me!)
    DottyR

Comment

The deep ones are 13L I think.

Comment

most pots have size embossed on bottom

Comment

I've not tried one-spud-per-container size, we grow Potato Bags (3 seed potatoes) and a somewhat larger tub-container (4 seed potatoes) for early spuds (later 1st Earlies, 2nd earlies and Mains grown in the ground). However, we like to harvest New Potatoes straight to kitchen (sugar starts turning to starch from the moment they are harvested, so we prefer not to store "some" for subsequent meals).

I might try the one-per-pot approach to see if we get a more right-sized harvest for the kitchen

For Bags and Containers I put 4 canes in, and string around the foliage, to stop it flopping (as harvest time approaches, particularly if the container needs to be moved into the greenhouse if there is a late frost). I am wondering if that would be more of a problem (i.e. getting stability for canes) in a smaller pot?
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

To be honest Kristen I don't bother and it seems to little or no harm.

These were my 2014 first early started in the GH then moved to the patio, the only support they get is from one another.
            Attached Files
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Yup, mine are fine too, provided I don't have to move them "late on". It would only be for a late frost I guess, although if they press on then they can be moved-in & moved-out at a point when they have quite a lot of "top", and it tends to be quite brittle / floppy and prone to damage, once it is that big.

I'll see how I get on this spring Thanks.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Late frosts are not usually that crisp, nor do they usually last that long, so I just throw a fleece over them. Don't have much of a choice, by this time the GH is full of other stuff.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My experience is that with plastic bags they need support but in pots they don't

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X