Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Flowerdews advice for Leeks...query.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
    Thanks for the input folks. No one seems to have heard Mr Flowerdews comments thence plastic bottles.
    I've puddled (oh god my predictive txt dropped in piddled there instead of puddled!) and been quite succccessful in the past. I have a leek bed to bring the plants on from seed and successfully have pencil sized plants to plant on. Think I'll give the plastic bottles a miss then.
    Sorry bobbin, but you have to do a trial now to see whether they grow better with plastic bottle protection! We need to know

Comment

I always dibber my leeks in but its for no other reason than speed and ease that I do it!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Bob Flowerdew is one of my gardening hero's so whatever he advocates will work!

I imagine he was referring to placing the cut bottles around plants to act as a mini cloche A cloche would help growth and also keep the leek moth at bay to some extent

Bob is a very knowledgeable vegetable gardener who is 'down to earth' and loves to experiment............bit like me really!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          I always dibber my leeks in but its for no other reason than speed and ease that I do it!
          Not in order to blanch them? (Or were you meaning in comparison to some other planting method?)
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I think i heard the tail end of the advice... I think he was referring to cutting off the top and bottom of a 2litre bottle and using it as a wind barrier more than a covering cloche...

I'm not 100% convinced that they were talking about leeks though.

You could listen to the GQT programme again and try and find it. The link to do so is here:
            BBC Radio 4 - Gardeners' Question Time - Available now

It would have been in the last two (maybe three) weeks as i was out of the country before then!
            Last edited by Stan79; 03-02-2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Bob is a very knowledgeable vegetable gardener who is 'down to earth' and loves to experiment............bit like me really!
              Bet he can't run as fast as you, Snadger

Comment

Aye & I bet Snadge can't grow a ponytail...................
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Aye & I bet Snadge can't grow a ponytail...................
                  I've got a ponytail to the middle of my back (can't really see it on my avatar) but Bobs is to his waste!
                  I've got plaited ponytail envy!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Bet he can't run as fast as you, Snadger
                    You've evidently never seen me run veggie!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've got a ponytail to the middle of my back (can't really see it on my avatar) but Bobs is to his waste!
                      I thought I'd seen a photo of you, stripped to the waist with long hair

You've evidently never seen me run veggie!
                      Of course I've seen you run, but I've never seen Bob run

Comment

So it'll be Snadge Flowerdew in the future or SF to your mates................
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X