No announcement yet.

Garden Planting Line

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One trowel or piece of stick, or a finger (whichever comes to hand), but my rows are very short, and I'm more likely to just be scattering the seeds on the surface of a pot.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

What's a row?

Comment

^^^^^^ It's what you have with the "Better Half" when the new seed order arrives

Comment

you still plant in rows.
          I went block planting aka( square foot and offset spacing) years ago.
          I

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
            No expense spared here

2 sticks and a ball of string.

Tie string to one stick but only wrap round the other to secure(so it stays on the ball of string)
            You can make a dozen like this for the cost of a ball of garden twine.
            And there will be times when you need a couple or you can leave one out by mistake.
            It will still be there when you get back.

I would use £12 plus for more important things,as a line is a line no matter what its made with.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHackwell View Post
              What do people use to mark out there rows on there allotment to sow/plant? I was looking at getting this: Moulton Mill Post and Line Set - Bents but unsure if it would be worth it, ideas please
              I have a line very similar to that but it was given to me as a Christmas present about five years ago by my sister. It is probably the most useful present I have ever recieved! I dont think I would have bought one for myself though, before I got it I used a plank of wood.

Comment

The secret of getting a straight line is being a good guesser!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  What's a row?
                  On my plot its 20ft :P I still like to plant in straight lines instead of in squares. I would mostly use it to sow a 'row' of parsnips and carrots and plant things like cabbages and cauliflowers in straight lines :P I have my raised beds for planting in blocks
                  Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

Alternative view:

Get some Mypex weed suppressing membrane. Probably won't cost any more than the Victorian cast iron wonder-reel to cover the whole plot ...

Cut appropriate holes for plants using the nice straight grid printed on the Mypex

Use the Mypex for that crop, year after year, rotated around with the crop.

Saves all that hassle of trying-to-find-the-Victoria-line in the back of the shed each Spring ... perfectly straight rows
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I use my eyes. That's why they are never straight
                      Mind you doesn't help when you have kids assisting you. Well that's my excuse for it being as straight as a donkeys hind leg.
                      sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X