No announcement yet.

where to get lots of cheap, decent compost/manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant bags of compost @Kristen it seems to be cheaper to buy small bags on 3 for 2 etc than to get one big builders bag, which I found surprising. But I suppose the small bags sell in large quantities in a mass market so work out cheaper.

Comment

The small bags at garden centre come on a pantechnicon all paletted up so the haulage cost is depot-to-store for as large a load as they can haul ... so cost-per-item is very good (as far as us punters are concerned!)

Builders bag, delivered to you, is a single journey for that one bag, so the haulage is not as cost effective - and the haulier delivering it is make a living doing that alone. I don't know, but filling a builders bag may be more troublesome than a bagging machine on a conveyor belt. I've tried to fill one from a JCB bucket, and most of it missed the bag!!

That's the way I see it anyway! I may be way off
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Manure in Corsham

Originally posted by Snow View Post
        Me and a mate are going to be growing quite a lot of spuds in pots this year. I reckon we'll need something like 1000 litres of compost/manure to fill all the containers. Could become quite costly.

What's the best option? I'm hoping to find some free/cheap horse manure somewhere around here (Corsham, Wiltshire) if anyone knows where some is, but will obviously need to buy some compost as well. Cost is certainly something to try and keep down but at the same time I dont really want rubbish (literaly) like I bought from B&Q last year. Seems the quality there is quite hit and miss.
        Hi Snow.
        I live in Corsham, and have an allotment at the Ridge. I am looking for a source of manure, did you find somewhere?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Hello Steve & welcome to the vine. Snow hasn't visited the Vine since last October but fingers crossed may make an appearance.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I didn't find any locally in the end. I didn't try that hard though as I came across a few bags of cheap farmyard manure at Wilkos which was enough for me last year. Sorry wish I could be of more help. I hope to grow some potatoes this year but probably not a lot else as my health declined, but I potatoes are so rewarding. There is a potato day in Chippenham (there was in 2015 anyway) which is well worth going to.
            Last edited by Snow; 16-01-2016, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Theres also a potato day at winsley village hall/ Winsley garden club, rear of the seven stars pub - near BoA rugby pitches -sunday 28th feb 10-1pm. On ththe same day boa has a seedy sunday -11-1pm at the masonic hall, by the bridge it has a fabulous southern magnolia tree by the front door if you want to meet and swap seeds..i'll be there
              Last edited by Scarlet; 16-01-2016, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I'm in exactly the same position, busy building tons of raised beds.
                I found a large 1000 litre bag on ebay for around £70 I think it was.

Comment

Thanks

Hi all,

Many thanks.

Thanks Snow for the welcome.

Interesting info re potato days and BoA. Might check that out.

I had a C class merc saloon until recently, drove down a muddy lane, into a paddock to bag up and transport some muck...it was a rush job, and got stuck! Me and a 9 year old girl in a paddock trying to get a car definitely not designed for that environment out. She even offered to drive bless her!
                  Now I have a 4x4 and am almost looking forward to a muddy jaunt into a field to see if it works! Just have a 2 tonne tank to get out if it doesn't.....

Comment

Well the edit post option doesn't seem to work from an iPad at least.

I meant to thank Bigmally for the welcome, and Snow,for the reply re manure. Names muddled!

Originally posted by Steveh1 View Post
                    Hi all,

Many thanks.

Thanks Snow for the welcome.

Interesting info re potato days and BoA. Might check that out.

I had a C class merc saloon until recently, drove down a muddy lane, into a paddock to bag up and transport some muck...it was a rush job, and got stuck! Me and a 9 year old girl in a paddock trying to get a car definitely not designed for that environment out. She even offered to drive bless her!
                    Now I have a 4x4 and am almost looking forward to a muddy jaunt into a field to see if it works! Just have a 2 tonne tank to get out if it doesn't.....

Comment

The big difference between a `dumpy` bag of compost and smaller plastic bags, is that you have loads of smaller bags with zillions of uses around the allotment!
                      In Somerset we have Viridor producing Revive soil conditioner, supplied in Dunpy bags and sealed bags, the dumpy bags come out around £23 a tonne plus delivery, now a tonne of Revive is a LOT! very cheap in my mind, even with delivery it`s cheaper and easier than a pallet load of plastic bags, either way I still have to wheelbarrow it to my plots.
                      As it`s a conditioner, you still need to add feed to it for your Potatoes.
                      You can look it up on their site under Somerset Waste Partnership.
                      Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

And in West Sussex it's £68.75 for 0.75m3, nearly three times the amount! 40litre bags are £4 each. Never bought any at that price.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X