X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which cheaper ways are they bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
      I thought that you don't fertilise carrots to avoid excessive nitrogen which causes forking. If you use something with a low nitrogen content but high phosphorus levels (e.g. bone meal) would this help grow bigger roots without forking?
      I have also heard this is the case! They really don't like newly manured beds aswell!

Comment

Originally posted by Spunky View Post
        Which cheaper ways are they bill?
        Farmyard manure contains a lot of minerals as does wood ash. Basic slag, lime, the list is endless. Rock dust seems to be an american thing and is promoted vigourously for business purposes but if you think about it soil is itself rock dust mixed with organic matter. What a good gardener needs to do is identify the lack of any particular mineral and if necessary corret the imbalance. Piling on rock dust as i have seen them do in many American you tube vids seems utterly crazy to me because they dont come cheap. Gardeners of old had never heard of rock dust and they produced staggering crops.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Thanks bill the only reason I ask is because I didn't think you could use manure with carrots and Rick dust at the moment is cheaper than blood fish bone on ebay

Comment

I'm following this thread with interest. My carrots last year and this have been rubbish. Small, forked and eaten!

Soil is very clay-ey and carrot root fly has also been a problem so going to grow in a container this year... just need to get around to building one and sorting out a soil, compost, sand, BF&B mix.

Comment

I've found the only way to avoid carrot root fly is to cover with enviromesh (or similar small mesh net) from sowing until harvest, it's a blatant lie that they can't fly very high!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks bill the only reason I ask is because I didn't think you could use manure with carrots and Rick dust at the moment is cheaper than blood fish bone on ebay
                Spunky, you are confusing rock dust with fertiliser. it is not a fertiliser but contains minerals.
                It may be cheaper than BFB but thats because rock dust is what it is, just dust from a quarry. Blood fish and bone requires complicated manufacturing methods and a lot of heat. You cant replace one with another. I would go with BFB.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
                  I'm following this thread with interest. My carrots last year and this have been rubbish. Small, forked and eaten!

Soil is very clay-ey and carrot root fly has also been a problem so going to grow in a container this year... just need to get around to building one and sorting out a soil, compost, sand, BF&B mix.
                  My soil is clay with embedded stone, rocks and boulders. Dismantled an old double divan bed which gave me the perfect parts to make a 1m x 1m x 30cm bed.

So from double bed to double height veg bed.

Just need to finish off the ground where I'm placing it and sort out the soil.

I've got the spect compost from last year's toms and tubs and I'm going to riddle the soil underneath the bed to mix it with. I'm thinking about mixing in coconut coir to lighten the soil a bit. Probably mix in some fresh compost to make up the volume and spread out the clay (which after being bashed through a riddle should be a bit finer).

I might dig up last year's squash bed instead of the fresh compost as it had loads of compost in last year which would be more nutritionally deficient then add bone meal - if I can be bothered to do all that extra riddling.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                    Spunky, you are confusing rock dust with fertiliser. it is not a fertiliser but contains minerals.
                    It may be cheaper than BFB but thats because rock dust is what it is, just dust from a quarry. Blood fish and bone requires complicated manufacturing methods and a lot of heat. You cant replace one with another. I would go with BFB.
                    I don't want to use it as a fertiliser bill I want it to replace elements that fertilisers don't replace, the plants would be getting feed from compost

Comment

I don't want to use it as a fertiliser bill I want it to replace elements that fertilisers don't replace, the plants would be getting feed from compost
                      "Thanks bill the only reason I ask is because I didn't think you could use manure with carrots and Rick dust at the moment is cheaper than blood fish bone on ebay"

You can see from your comments how I could assume you intend to use one rather than the other even though they do completely different things,

Comment

How about mixing half spent compost with half new and using rock dust as a fertiliser to add the extra gubbons
                        There won't be any feed in the old compost, while the new compost will run out of feed in 6 weeks or so. This means you'll have to add fertiliser to get a decent crop.

I don't believe that adding rock dust as well as fertiliser will make an appreciable difference, although I've never tried it to find out for myself. You could do an experiment for us - one container with added rock dust, one without - and report back at the end of the season?
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I dont use any feed on my carrots nor parsnips and i get great results.
                          I grow mine in raised beds, sieved old compost and thats it.

Once the seedlings are established, i am careful with the watering, in that, i let them go a while with needing water so the roots grow down, although i dont let them dry out (if you see what i mean)

Do many of you feed your carrots?
                          If someone has lost their smile, give them one of yours. :

Children seldom misquote you. In fact they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                            "Thanks bill the only reason I ask is because I didn't think you could use manure with carrots and Rick dust at the moment is cheaper than blood fish bone on ebay"

You can see from your comments how I could assume you intend to use one rather than the other even though they do completely different things,
                            I do mate no worries tbh I meant the cost comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                              There won't be any feed in the old compost, while the new compost will run out of feed in 6 weeks or so. This means you'll have to add fertiliser to get a decent crop.

I don't believe that adding rock dust as well as fertiliser will make an appreciable difference, although I've never tried it to find out for myself. You could do an experiment for us - one container with added rock dust, one without - and report back at the end of the season?
                              I wouldn't use both Martin I'd want the carrots to get the main npk from a half dose of compost and the rest of the trace elements from the rock dust, I'll be growing them in pots this year so it's more beneficial to me I suppose
                              After reading some of the posts on here it seems they crave something it makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                I've found the only way to avoid carrot root fly is to cover with enviromesh (or similar small mesh net) from sowing until harvest, it's a blatant lie that they can't fly very high!
                                How definite is carrot root fly?
                                I'm growing carrots for the first time this year, in a small patch. If it is like 99% certain then I'll do stuff to try and avoid getting it, but I dont want to do spend the time and energy if it's only like 50/50. My patch is in my backgarden, not allotment.
                                Last edited by Snow; 26-01-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X