No announcement yet.

Container spuds.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed that temp has not been mentioned in this thread, whilst using bags and buckets.Was reading somewhere the other week that at about (i think it was) 68degrees, that spuds stop growing, not the air temp but soil. I imagine it would be hard to get that temp in the ground at spud depth.
    We also turn our bags inside out, i do it to warm the insides quicker, maybe that is the wrong way.
    Last yr i grew spuds in 8 125litre bags, folded down but not quite filled up with soil as they grew, i kept them in the sunshine thinking they were loving it in the heat.
    On emptying them i got about 4 pound off 2 spuds. In my buckets 35 litre, i got around 6-7 pound off 2 spuds, the only difference being the buckets were mostly in the shade, and i didn't have half the soil that was in the bags. Now that's not saying shade is the whole answer, but i think it's (for me)something to take note of, i will be doing the same in bags and buckets again,but keeping them cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
      I noticed that temp has not been mentioned in this thread, whilst using bags and buckets.Was reading somewhere the other week that at about (i think it was) 68degrees, that spuds stop growing, not the air temp but soil. I imagine it would be hard to get that temp in the ground at spud depth.
      We also turn our bags inside out, i do it to warm the insides quicker, maybe that is the wrong way.
      Last yr i grew spuds in 8 125litre bags, folded down but not quite filled up with soil as they grew, i kept them in the sunshine thinking they were loving it in the heat.
      On emptying them i got about 4 pound off 2 spuds. In my buckets 35 litre, i got around 6-7 pound off 2 spuds, the only difference being the buckets were mostly in the shade, and i didn't have half the soil that was in the bags. Now that's not saying shade is the whole answer, but i think it's (for me)something to take note of, i will be doing the same in bags and buckets again,but keeping them cooler.
      That is funny because i have found that those in shade did significantly worse than those in full sunshine. perhaps in your case its more water related and your full sunshine ones dried out too quickly?
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I know temperature is a problem in some parts of the world, they do stop producing if it's too warm. But it was pretty hot last year and I didn't notice any problems other than the fact they dried out quickly. I watered everyday. But then maybe I would have got a bigger crop had it been cooler...
        I'm going to have to grow at least one in partial shade now in order to find out what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
          Was reading somewhere the other week that at about (i think it was) 68degrees, that spuds stop growing, not the air temp but soil. I imagine it would be hard to get that temp in the ground at spud depth.
          I think that once the sun is strong the foliage will be significant and it will be shading the pots, sun higher in the sky by then too, so even black pots unlikely to get too hot. Large containers will heat up less than small ones.
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I grew 3 potatoes each in 35L bags and had an average of 3.5kg as harvest from each. Bags were filled 50% MPC and 50% rotted manure, with a handful of fertiliser with it. I added another handful half-way through the growing season and watered them religiously.

Will definitely do this again for earlies.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

In relation to the water issue....as its my first time with my own garden and thus first time growing anything, I'm curious if using the bottle method might help?
              I've seen those fancy looking glass globe spikes in the garden centre that you can fill with water and then stick into plant pots to self water.
              How about getting a few beer bottles when it's hot and filing them with water and sticking them upside down into the potatoe bags? Or something similar...

Comment

Upcycled Wine Bottle Watering
                The fancy bits aren't for me but this is what I meant about using bottles to water.
                Last edited by Lamboluke; 20-01-2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
                  In relation to the water issue....as its my first time with my own garden and thus first time growing anything, I'm curious if using the bottle method might help?
                  I've seen those fancy looking glass globe spikes in the garden centre that you can fill with water and then stick into plant pots to self water.
                  How about getting a few beer bottles when it's hot and filing them with water and sticking them upside down into the potatoe bags? Or something similar...
                  But think of the shame in using beer bottles, wine bottles are so much more "Knightsbridge)
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                    But think of the shame in using beer bottles, wine bottles are so much more "Knightsbridge)
                    oh dear does that mean I need to drink more wine........

Comment

I'm going to try my spuds in pots this year, for the first time.

Managed to get 30 30ltr pots, off eBay fer 30 quid...Not a bad deal.. Though I won't be planting up that many, the rest'll get used for bringing on shrubs.

It was watching a vid on YT that persuaded me to give it a try..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HfIHK7vUYU

Have to say, his harvest isn't too shabby considering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrkIecqQL8

Probably only be doing 1st and 2nd earlies this year, just to see how it goes..
                      Last edited by JimS; 20-01-2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Spot on Bill,

I try to keep my spuds in full sun, but they do dry out a lot quicker. Those dustbins in partial shade always yield slightly less.
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post

Haha. I see your point...best get to the super market ! But would this idea solve the watering issue?

Comment

when comes pot size for potatoes bigger is better to point.
                            if had choice i go with 37 liter pot instead of 20 liter pot or dust bin.
                            though I would try to not go bigger then 57 liter pot.

Comment

Why not dustbins?
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
                                Haha. I see your point...best get to the super market ! But would this idea solve the watering issue?
                                Frankly I doubt it, I pour at least two gallons on a container sometimes more, compared to that a wine bottle is micturating into the wind. Also i think you would soon get fed up with filling up the bottles and turning them upside down (when the water would pour over you shoes).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X