No announcement yet.

Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster beans? Where are you getting the seed from?

Comment

I'm guessing by cluster beans Elfeda is thinking of round French climbing beans (cobra, blue lake, etc) which grow in clumps rather than in pairs like runners/flat French climbing.

He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Cluster beans botanical name is 'Cyamopsis tetragonoloba'

wiki page: Guar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

seeds can be bought here tropicalfruitandveg.com | About Guar

Comment

I looked at those Elfeda... Do you really think they will grow in the UK?

Comment

It's good to try different varieties but if you are an inexperienced grower, and forgive me if I've misunderstood, would you be better growing some tried and trusted varieties suitable for the UK climate? I tried "yard long beans" last year. We had a long growing season but I got nothing from them. I wasn't too bothered as I had runner beans and French beans galore. If they were the only thing I'd tried I would have been disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              I looked at those Elfeda... Do you really think they will grow in the UK?
              Looking at them I definitely thnk you'd struggle outside in this country but maybe we'll get a heatwave

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Looking at them I definitely thnk you'd struggle outside in this country but maybe we'll get a heatwave

just checked it, seems little tricky. still will give a try in small qty, as I wouldn't be spending much if I manage to buy seeds from India.

but they did very well in zone 9
                Last edited by Elfeda; 12-01-2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                  I tried "yard long beans" last year. We had a long growing season but I got nothing from them
                  Snap!

I wasn't too bothered as I had runner beans and French beans galore
                  Snap x 2

If they were the only thing I'd tried I would have been disappointed.
                  Yeah, you guessed it ... x3
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've seen that website before - they say they are a "science project"! I like to grow some different things but it's also good to get some food on your plate too. As Wendy has said, grow some other varieties that have been tried and tested in the UK to avoid disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                      wonder how the forum members pick a specific variety of seed ?
                      Impulse - I see something I like the look of; flavour is a big factor, colour or other interesting feature. Cosse Violette was such an example

Opportunity - opportunity to try a variety that is swapped with friends, or a bit of a bargain. Swift F1 sweetcorn was my first sweetcorn foray and a great success

Disease resistance - if I have encountered a specific problem, I will firstly look to reduce the risk e.g. sowing potatoes earlier to avoid blight, reducing wind exposure, or growing some in a greenhouse etc. but I will consider sowing a variety I've not tried before with decent flavour if it has some to high resistance

Comment

I am also planning Lablab
                        I do not have poly tunnel, Should I move it to green house.
                        How long I can continue harvesting lablab If grown inside green house?
                        Lablab beans need to be sown early and grown undercover. They have a long growing season and a very short cropping time. Here's a great info sheet on growing them in the UK

http://www.sowingnewseeds.org.uk/pdf...g%20Lablab.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          They have a long growing season and a very short cropping time
                          They are going to have to taste AMAZING then !!
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

wonder how the forum members pick a specific variety of seed ?
                            Mostly on flavour & productivity recommendations, but I am also a sucker for a rare variety that needs a home.

If the beans are for shelling I like having beans that will be different in colour - white, black, red, striped, mottled, pied...they will be on my shelf for a few months so I'd like something to feed my eyes too.
                            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

For beans I go for a stringless variety. There is nothing that ruins a nice meal faster than finding your mouth full of tough stringy bits of bean (or any veg for that matter, but beans are a particular culprit).
                              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                                If the beans are for shelling I like having beans that will be different in colour - white, black, red, striped, mottled, pied...they will be on my shelf for a few months so I'd like something to feed my eyes too.
                                I stopped using brown envelopes to store bean seeds in because I couldn't see the beans and needed to open them just for another look
                                Last edited by Scarlet; 13-01-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X