Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhyswales View Post
    I second this, potatoes grown in the bags were much better than what I took out the ground.
    My bag-grown ones are always very clean, no scab, but more faff to grow
    Last edited by Kristen; 07-01-2015, 09:28 AM.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Agree about the clean aspect - I do sometimes get scab in the bags if I use home made compost (particularly if it contains soil), but they are usually mostly undamaged and the compost comes off much more easily than my heavy clay soil.

Maybe I am getting fewer potatoes per plant than I should because I never remember to feed them at all (oops). After earthing up I don't think I have ever fed a potato plant anything. Maybe I should try it this year
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

#15 Kristen.

I am lucky, semi retired just do the office work for the lads, therefore I have plenty of time to devote to my hobbies.

I tend to use slow release pelleted fertiliser in my smaller pots as the are more difficult to feed correctly afterward and I put 11/2 times the recommended amount of pelleted potato fertiliser in the pots. They will then get one maybe two feeds of high potash before harvest.

Larger containers which I use for 2nd early and main crops are much less of a fuss to deal with. I tend to use dried FYM for a quick boost along with a standard amount of pelleted potato fertiliser.

After week 6/7 I use a high nitrogen fertiliser such as Miracle Grow to hopefully produce a good strong haulm up until week 14 for second early and week 18 for main crop and then change to high potash such as tomorite to help swell the tubers. How often I feed depends on the plant, if its growing strongly it will get fed more often. It is very difficult to overfeed containers as every time you water you dilute the feed in the compost.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have some Maris piper which are in the fridge. Bought the seed potatoes from the garden centre but seems it's still too early to start chitting now as I don't have a heated greenhouse and the last thing I want to do is plant too early on and the frost kill them off.
          Is the fridge a good way of slowing down chit production as I've had them in a month and virtually no chits so far which I'm guessing is from the cold.
          When would people recommend I get them out and on the windowsill and when to plant in the bags in the greenhouse?

Comment

Maris Piper are a main crop, normal planting time in open ground where you live would mid to late March.

If your growing in bags in the GH you could pinch a month or so. If the GH is unheated you could always through some fleece over them if a frost threatens.

I would give it a fortnight and have them out onto a frost free, light window sill, they'll be fine in the fridge till then.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              Maris Piper are a main crop, normal planting time in open ground where you live would mid to late March.

If your growing in bags in the GH you could pinch a month or so. If the GH is unheated you could always through some fleece over them if a frost threatens.

I would give it a fortnight and have them out onto a frost free, light window sill, they'll be fine in the fridge till then.

Thanks for the advice. 2.5cm chits about right to plant out?

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
                Thanks for the advice. 2.5cm chits about right to plant out?
                Yup, any longer and they might be brittle / fragile when when planting. In strong light mine never get that long

Be careful that the spuds, in the fridge, don't touch the freezing element (and thereby freeze)
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X