No announcement yet.

Propagator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have aldi propergators got them in the sale last yr 1.99. If condensation forms i ust give them a wipe. When they start germinating i lift lid off then. If im doing items they will germinate at a different time. I do them in half loo roll pots and take out one by one when germinated xx

Comment

How bizarre... Most of my seeds do germinate at a similar time I grant you, but some like the cyclamen I'm trying for the first time are more tricky. I've been compromising - out during the day to keep the biggie happy, then back in at night to keep the little'un cosy. Not sure if I'm making things better or worse!? I tried the fridge / propagator thing with a tray of hellibores, but OH got stressed with all the bits of soil that kept falling off so they're now in the garden/porch taking their chances. Very slowly. Doing nothing at all! Maybe I'm better sticking to veg for now..
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

very good tips.

I have a big platform to utility room window, but there is no heating in the small utility besides kitchen. I just wonder if this place can be useful for any

Comment

For those looking for optimum germination conditions, this may help. It does not contain all veg you may wish to grow:

Attached Files
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 06-01-2015, 10:16 PM.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
            some like the cyclamen I'm trying for the first time are more tricky
            Very tricky ... they want pitch-black [cover the pot with tinfoil] to germinate, so what are you supposed to do when one seed germinates early? I never found an answer to that! I gave up trying to raise them from seed and bought a few plants as cheap as I could and now I let them self seed under the trees instead. Once established they produce loads of seed, compared to a seed packet!, so I figure by the law of averages they will spread reasonably well

I tried the fridge / propagator thing with a tray of hellibores, but OH got stressed with all the bits of soil that kept falling off so they're now in the garden/porch taking their chances
            For things that want Cold/Warm or Warm/Cold/Warm I use little zip-lock bags with a teaspoon of only-just-moist vermiculite. I stick a label on with how many days they need at each temperature with a gap to write in the date, like this:

20C 30D 07Jan
            5C 90D 07Feb
            20C Germ .....

So the bag was made up on 07-Jan, and needs 20C for 30 Days, so on (or sometime after) so (today) I write 07-Feb on the second line which is the date it will be ready to move to the fridge at 5C. When I move it I will add 90 days to the (then) date and write that on the next line as a reminder for the [earliest] date it can come out of the fridge.

I then put all the little zip-locks in a Tupperware box (one for each temperature regime, so only need 3 or 4 in total), the single Tupperware box in the fridge doesn't take up much space

Maybe I'm better sticking to veg for now..
            I can't think of any Veg that don't germinate all-at-once given the right starting temperature, and all (that I can think off ) only take a week or two to germinate. Hooray for that!
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
              Very tricky ... they want pitch-black [cover the pot with tinfoil] to germinate, so what are you supposed to do when one seed germinates early? I never found an answer to that!

I can't think of any Veg that don't germinate all-at-once given the right starting temperature, and all (that I can think off ) only take a week or two to germinate. Hooray for that!
              Blimey! No wonder some of my seed packets are labelled 'Plantsman'! I mean, you have to be Patient, and Organised! And seemingly have endless spaces at specific temperatures to put them all... Hmmm. But I do love a challenge now and again . My only naughty germinator so far with veggies is a Marmande tomato - only one has come up! All the others appear OK though, touch wood. Now to clear space for potting on.. I always thought gardeners got a break in the winter, but it's just not true is it! Lol .
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                For those looking for optimum germination conditions, this may help. It does not contain all veg you may wish to grow:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52096[/ATTACH]
                Thanks - now if I remember f to c is
                C = (f-32)*1.8 or ((f-32)*5)/9 if the decimal place make mental arithmetic hard

At least I think that's the formula

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                  if I remember f to c is
                  Google will do that for you - especially useful if you have a predictive search thingie in your browser (such as Chrome provides) as it gives the answer without having to actually visit the Google page.

61F in C =

will give you 16C

I remember it as:

32F = 0C
                  and then the digits reverse for these two:
                  61F = 16C
                  82F = 28C

and I extrapolate, roughly!, in my head for figures in between.
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Ah but on the lottie with a flat battery or no reception its handy to be able to do the math. Sometimes useful in a no phones pub quiz as well.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X