No announcement yet.

Digging in the polytunnel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks - I'll investigate that particular variety - thought I don't actually remember seeing it in any garden centers I've been in. Perhaps it isn't popular here.

PS - I noticed your name in lights in the most recent edition of GYO

Comment

Thanks - I'll investigate that particular variety - thought I don't actually remember seeing it in any garden centers I've been in. Perhaps it isn't popular here.

PS - I noticed your name in lights in the most recent edition of GYO

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
        James Grieve is highly recommended here, and usually easy to find. Its a dual purpose apple but I find them so nice to eat raw that I have never cooked one.
        We used to have one when I was a kid. My dad was the only one who liked it as a dessert apple, I find it a bit harsh. It's OK as a cooker but nowhere near as good as a Bramley type. I'd suggest you making sure you've tried it before buying.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          We used to have one when I was a kid. My dad was the only one who liked it as a dessert apple, I find it a bit harsh. It's OK as a cooker but nowhere near as good as a Bramley type. I'd suggest you making sure you've tried it before buying.
          Interesting - I leave my apples until they are fully ripe - they start to develop a more yellowish colour and go a littel sticky on the skin, and then they are not harsh at all (in my opoinion). If eaten slightly under-ripe then yes, they are quite sharp, which I suppose is why they are billed as dual purpose.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I decided I'd just stick to the brambly - I know exactly what I'm getting and I kow they grow well around here.

After one trip to the garden center and finding out they had none left and would not be getting any more in until mid February I ended up with a Falstaff

Attached Files

Comment

Priceless!
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by AlanP View Post
                I would get all that compost in and then plant first early spuds (Rocket) by the time you have eaten them and turned the bed over it will be time to put tomatoes in. This is one crop rotation I use in one of my polytunnels. Rocket need to be planted 1st of Feb. After planting cover the ground, in case of frost with some fleece,they will grow quite happily under this until quite large.
                Rocket take 11 to 12 weeks.

Good luck Alan
                I'd like to try this. Would like to know if you had any problems with pest and diseases. Tomatoes and Potatoes are related. Also do you rotate this every year in the same poly? Thanks for any info.

Comment

Early spuds don't normally suffer from diseases like Blight - it usually comes along quite a bit later (there is "early blight" but it is not common).

I change the soil in my greenhouse borders every year. I put in 50:50 mix of material from my compost heap and manure. The compost heap material is quite rough, but fine for Tomatoes and other greenhouse crops. What comes out, after a year, is beautifully fine and I use it for potting as well as planting and mulching. I thought it would be hard work, but the manure and compost is relatively light, compared to the heavy clay soil I have here!
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Dosed with the flu so I'm not going to get much of a chance to do much this weekend.

I did take a walk out to admire stuff - as you do

The garlic - not really doing much except turning slightly yellow at the end of the leaves. The elephant garlic seems to be growing though

My self made potting bench

The kohl rabi growing

A broad bean emerges

Getting the pots ready for the spring. Also got the autopot system set up for a hydroponics trial - looking forward to comparing it with pot grown chillies
                    Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X