No announcement yet.

What new plants are you trying in 2015?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always grow tomatoes and peppers but this year i have 18 different pepper/chilli and 23 different tomatoes. Some i have tried but mostly new

Also
    cape gooseberries,
    inca berries
    curly kale,
    black and white kidney bean
    soya bean
    spaghetti squash
    acorn squash
    uchiki kuri squash
    melon emir
    salsify
    scorzonera

Who knows what else, but i am sure there will be plenty
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

This year I'm trying passion fruit, kiwi fruit, flower sprouts, samphire and going to try the giant pumpkins given away with GYO last year.
      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I'm also going to give samphire a go as its my absolute favourite veg and I didn't think you could grow in a non coastal location til recently. May be an epic fail but I guess that's the nature of GYO.

Comment

Hmm.... I'm still experimenting. I'm growing way more flowers this year to encourage bees etc. not sure which varieties yet. Have been looking in the vsp....I'm going all around the sides with flowers and veg in the centres. Good thread by the way!
          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
            So far I am adding sweet potatoes, yard long beans, walking onions, lots of different types of squash, Panache Fig, Australian finger limes and pineapples

and thinking about trying to grow rice
            I have tried and failed to grow yard long beans outside for years and failed. Grew the italian variety last year in polytunnel and was amazing! Will definitely be growing them again this year, great texture and flavour.
            This year I am trying to find a variety of Thai aubergine that will grow well in the tunnel, and a better pak choi and komatsuna variety.
            Also outside going for more heritage type veggies, rainbow carrots were amazing last year as well.
            Death to all slugs!

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
              cucamelon for me, they look fab!

Does anybody know if I can grow them at the allotment? Or are the best suited to g/h?

Cucamelon's for me this year too. I love cuecumbers, and cucamelons sound heavenly. Just perfect to have a bowl next to me to much through when watching a film :-) (I know that sounds odd!)

Although anything I grow this year will be new as this is my first year as a lottie holder. Apart from growing cress as a kid all those years ago, this is the first time I tried growing anything. Muchly excited.

Comment

I gave cucamelons a go last year, and barely got any fruit from them (loads of female flowers, almost all just dropped off). Maybe I should give 'em another shot though...

The few fruit I got were lovely.
                My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                  Sorry, forgot to look at your location before replying.

I've only grown Yard Long beans here once, but didn't get a crop to speak of
                  Ditto......
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Gonna try lots of different varieties of Broad Bean this year and also only do first and second earlies on the spud front. I've heard it helps when trying to avoid blight, plus gives you time to put another crop in.

Also, I'm going to have another go at leeks. Someone gave me the bottom of one of his prize leeks, I forget what it was called, but I'm going to try letting that seed, and getting some 'pips' as I think they're called. That will be for next year, so I'll try growing some ordinary ones this year too. Perhaps at last I can get them to more than 'pencil thickness'!
                    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Going to try shark fin melon,some diff types beetroot. Also trying alot of your most common veg as this is only my 3rd yr growing 😊
                      Last edited by emzgogo; 06-01-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Well as its my second year growing I've loads of things to class as new.

Going to try
                        Sweet Cicely (it's in my fridge at the moment),
                        skirret,
                        rampion,
                        ramsons,
                        cucamelon,
                        jersey kale,
                        red sprouts

possibly okhijaniki

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X